This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1484 / 52°8'54"N
Longitude: -2.7526 / 2°45'9"W
OS Eastings: 348602
OS Northings: 250277
OS Grid: SO486502
Mapcode National: GBR FJ.6XGB
Mapcode Global: VH858.78PD
Entry Name: Chapel of St John of Jerusalem
Listing Date: 15 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1348966
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153967
Location: Dinmore, County of Herefordshire, HR4
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Dinmore
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
SO 45 SE DINMORE CP -
1/1 Chapel of St John of
Former chapel of the Knights Hospitaller of St John of Jerusalem.
Late C12 with subsequent alterations, restored 1886 by H F St John.
Sandstone, steeply pitched stone slate roof. West tower, three-bay
chancel, north porch and remains of walls of former adjacent buildings
to north. Tower: C14, two stages, embattled above moulded string course,
short recessed stone spire, diagonal buttress to south-west. North wall
continues west of west wall indicating that the tower was inserted into
earlier nave; entry in north wall through triangular headed doorway.
Chancel: unfenestrated north wall has two buttresses formerly part of
adjacent building and blocked C12 semi-circular headed doorway. East
window and south-east window are C14 of three lights under 2-centred
arches. The two western windows of south wall are similar but of two
lights, C15 (?). Sundial attached to buttress to east of late C19 south
door. North porch is late C19 or early C20. C14 2-centred arch for late
door. ledged door. Interior: C14 roof of five bays with low moulded tie-
beams, ridge piece and purlins. Stoup adjacent to north door is a re-
used C13 capital set against an ogee back. Piscina with C14 ogee head
also has re-used C13 capital for its bowl. Squint at high level in
north wall; organ built in 1786 formerly at Moccas Court positioned under
C14 tower arch with dying inner mouldings. Stained glass by H F St John,
Presbyter of Dinmore 1887. The chapel lies within the Commandery circuit
and is conspicuously sited on a hillside overlooking the central Hereford-
shire plain. [RCHM Vol II, p 67/8; Richard Hollins Murray: Dinmore Manor
[and the Commandery of the Knights Hospitaller of St John of Jerusalem at
Dinmore, Herefordshire (1936, revissed 1983)].
Listing NGR: SO4859550312
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings