History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ham Hill House and Attached Conservatory

A Grade II Listed Building in Powick, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1674 / 52°10'2"N

Longitude: -2.2565 / 2°15'23"W

OS Eastings: 382551

OS Northings: 252158

OS Grid: SO825521

Mapcode National: GBR 1GH.0BB

Mapcode Global: VH92S.TSXB

Entry Name: Ham Hill House and Attached Conservatory

Listing Date: 28 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1349274

English Heritage Legacy ID: 153401

Location: Powick, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR2

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Powick

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Powick

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Powick

Listing Text

This List entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 28/06/2017

SO 85 SW,
3/929

POWICK,
Ham Hill House and attached conservatory

28.10.87

GV

II

Country House, formerly Hunting Lodge. Early C19. Stuccoed red brick with plain-tile roof and brick
ridge stacks with triple and quadruple linked flues. Elaborate cottage orné style. Two ranges, the larger set a storey higher with large
gable to each front descending to first-floor level. Two storeys and single storey
with attic and basement. Flight of steps rises to gabled verandah in re-entrant
angle of lower range. Ornate Gothic part-glazed door with leaded lights.
Projecting gables set at 90° to left and right have canted bay windows with leaded
lights, that to left with Gothic tracery. Irregular fenestration further to
right includes a canted 4-light sashed bay window with arched lights and plain-
tile roof. Further 2- and 3-light windows, those to lower floors with hood
moulds. Garden front to right in main range has large lean-to conservatory
spanning full width. This is canted forward and has a small square section at
either end. Small glazed lights, those at eaves with Gothic heads. Pentagonal
glazed-roof rising to elaborate finial half in front of central first-floor
window. This is of three diamond-latticed lights with Gothic tracery and hood mould
over. A similar single-light window to either side. Narrow blind window above.
Glazed doors and window within conservatory which has stone-flagged floors.
Irregular fenestration to rear includes two oriel windows with plain-tile roofs.
A feature of the house is the series of elaborately carved and pierced barge
boards with moulded pendants and carved and pierced eaves brackets. Interior:
Reception Hall has Gothic vaulted ceiling. Dining Room has Gothic vaulted ceiling
with elaborate foliage corbels. Gothic doorcase and marble fireplace. Dado
panelling. Staircase hall has oak staircase with turned balusters and late C19
oak panelling. Landing has Gothic vaulted ceiling. Drawing room has Gothic
doorcases, details and a marble fireplace. Ante-room has iron ornamental fire-
place in window reveal. Concealed mirrored sliding window shutter. Bedrooms
have marble, wood or iron fireplaces and cast-iron grates. Old Kitchen has
original fireplace with stone surround. Game larder has slate slabs, flagged
stone floor and meat hooks. Estate Office has Gothic fireplace with ornate cast-
iron surround and leaded lights to windows incorporating stained-glass etching
of views of the house. These show the house was originally thatched.

History:
A residence of Marquess of Queensberry in C19 and birthplace of Lord Alfred
Douglas (Sale particulars in N M R). Lord Alfred, also known as Bosie, was the long term lover of Oscar Wilde. His father, the Marquess of Queensberry, was pivotal in the arrest and trials of Oscar Wilde in 1895. The phrase ‘the love that dare not speak its name’ is a line from Lord Alfred’s poem ‘Two Loves’. It was made famous when quoted in Oscar Wilde’s trial for gross indecency in 1895.


Listing NGR: SO8255152158

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.