History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalene

A Grade II* Listed Building in Broadwas, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1938 / 52°11'37"N

Longitude: -2.3599 / 2°21'35"W

OS Eastings: 375496

OS Northings: 255126

OS Grid: SO754551

Mapcode National: GBR 0DM.J5Q

Mapcode Global: VH92R.14S1

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Listing Date: 29 July 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1349345

English Heritage Legacy ID: 151691

Location: Broadwas, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR6

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Broadwas

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: The Lower Teme Valley Parish

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Broadwas

Listing Text

SO 75 NE BROADWAS CP CHURCH LANE

3/9 Church of St Mary
29.7.59 Magdalene


GV II*

Parish church. Late C12 origin with later additions, restored by Charles
Hodgson Fowler, FRIBA, c1885. Partly coursed sandstone rubble, partly
sandstone ashlar, tiled roofs; timber-framed, weatherboarded bell turret.
2 bay chancel, 4 bay nave with south chapel, south porch and west extension
enclosing bell turret. Predominantly Decorated style. Chancel Stonework
much repaired and refaced; late C19 4-light east window; north elevation
has 2 lancets; south elevation has a lancet and a late C19 flat-headed 2-
light window. Nave North elevation: 2 buttresses with offsets; C16 flat-
headed 2-light window at east end, 2 lancets flanking narrow, round-headed
doorway and an additional lancet at west end. South elevation: lancet and
C15 flat-headed 2-light window at west end. South chapel Founded in 1344.
Separate roof with parapets and kneelers at gable ends; ashlar built;
central and corner buttresses with gabled weatherings; east wall has 2 cusped
lancets and a wheel window with mouchette tracery in gable above; two 2-
light windows in south wall; all windows have hoodmoulds the returns of
which continue as a string course. South porch is situated immediately west
of chapel opposite the north doorway and is an 1881 replacement of former
C14 porch. Timber-frame on sandstone base; gabled, tiled roof; Perpendicular
style infill panels, now glazed. C13 pointed arched south doorway within
deeply splayed and moulded reveals; 2 nook-shafts with foliated capitals set
each side the outer capitals having the remains of heads which face each other
across the doorway; hood-mould with foliated label stops. Bell turret Masonry
enclosing turret of probably C13 date; buttresses at gable ends; 3 lancets in
west elevation and 3 rows of close-set vertical studding in gable, 6 central
panels of which are glazed; turret on square base; 4 traceried bell-chamber
openings below pyramidal roof and weathercock. Interior Chancel arch removed,
probably in C16. South chapel arcade of 2 bays with compound pier of 4
engaged shafts, moulded caps and bases. Nave roof C19, trusses have braced
collars reinforced into tie-beam; wagon roofs to chancel and chapel. Bell-
turret framework is primarily late C19 and is separated from nave by plain
timber screen enclosing vestry beneath; gallery space above with Jacobean.
balcony railing. Chancel floor laid with C16 tiles; piscina within cusped
arch in chancel and chapel; grotesque heads on label stops of south windows
in chapel; octagonal font on circular stem with scalloped top; richly carved
octagonal pulpit, dated 1632, also tester. C17 pews at north west end of
nave; 3 C18 wall memorials and 2 early C17 tomb slabs in chancel. Chair in
chancel dated 1647; panel of medieval glass in east lancet on north side of
chancel.


Listing NGR: SO7549655126

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.