History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Philip and St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hallow, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2193 / 52°13'9"N

Longitude: -2.2524 / 2°15'8"W

OS Eastings: 382851

OS Northings: 257927

OS Grid: SO828579

Mapcode National: GBR 1FQ.TLD

Mapcode Global: VH92L.XH31

Entry Name: Church of St Philip and St James

Listing Date: 15 October 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1349353

English Heritage Legacy ID: 151734

Location: Hallow, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR2

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Hallow

Built-Up Area: Hallow

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Hallow

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Hallow

Listing Text

SO 85 NW HALLOW CP A 443 (east side)

4/64 Church of St Philip and
St James

II*

Parish church. 1867-9 by W J Hopkins on new site. Spire added in 1900.
Red sandstone ashlar with yellow sandstone tracery, tiled roofs, parapets
at gable ends with kneelers. Two bay chancel with chapel to south and vestry
to north, four bay nave with clerestory and north and south aisles, south
porch and west tower. Decorated style. West tower: 3 stages, angled corner
buttresses with cusped gablets; south-west buttress is of increased width to
incorporate stairs and has 3 slit openings; 3 strings; west doorway has
pointed archway, deeply recessed and moulded, the hood mould returns to
continue as string, and has nookshafts, the upper shafts almost weathered
away, with foliated capitals and moulded eaves. Above is a large 5-light
window with geometric tracery. The second stage has metal clockface to
each elevation. Beneath the belfry stage is an imbricated frieze and above
a diaper frieze and moulded cornice; between are paired, louvred 2-light
openings each having nookshafts with foliated capitals and moulded bases
and with hoodmould returning as string. Broach spire has corner pinnacles
and four 2-light lucarnes, above which is a quatrefoil frieze between strings
and 8 gablets with pointed-lobed trefoil openings, with an additional string
above; at top of spire is a finial and weathercock. Nave: Traceried flying
buttresses at bay divisions terminating in outer buttresses surmounted by
pinnacles; 2-light windows, round clerestorey windows with varied tracery;
cusped lancets to aisles and clerestorey at west end of north and south
elevation; 3-light window to west elevation of aisles. South porch: Gabled
with parapet and kneelers; corner angled buttresses with offsets. Doorway
has pointed arch in deeply moulded and recessed surround, hood mould and
foliated label stops; at sides is arcade at window height composed of 3
cusped pointed arches supported on short columns with moulded caps and
bases. Chancel: corner buttresses with offsets and gablets, 2 string courses,
the lower one continuing around side elevations; 3-light east window has hood
mould with foliated label stops. At east end of north and south elevations
is a 2-light window with hood mould and foliated label stops. South chapel:
catslide roof, end buttresses with offsets, a large 2-light south window set
partly within central gable and paired, pointed arch windows in the east
elevation. North vestry: also has a catslide roof, tall chimney, corner
buttress with offsets and an outshut to east; 2-light north window and
pointed arched doorway at west end; 3 cusped lancets in east elevation.
Interior: 5 pointed stone diaphragm arches to have on long shafts terminating
on moulded corbels; additional stone pointed arches in aisles, the inner
spandrels pierced with quatrefoils. Cusped pointed chancel arch also pierced
with quatrefoils and rising from foliated corbels. Four bay arcades to
aisles, of pointed arches on columns with foliated capitals and moulded bases.
Chancel roof has hammerbeam trusses with pierced, cusped decoration on foliated
corbels; above wall-plate is elaborate, traceried timber arcade. At lower end
of chancel large, pointed archways lead into chapel to south, and contain organ
to north; above northern archway is small, pointed doorway into vestry. Reredos
by R Boulton; alabaster and marble. Crucifixion scene beneath highly ornate
vaulted canopy surmounted by angels. Octagonal stone font by Forsyth in
Butterfield style, base surrounded by 8 marble columns, bowl inlaid with
ornamental tiling and much carved decoration including figure reliefs. Pulpit
of stone and marble with tile inlay; carved figures beneath gabled canopy.
Memorials Beneath tower monument to Edward Hill died 1616, also an early C18
one to Edward and Anne Bull; Anne Bull provided the main part of the endowment
for the village school. In south aisle, cartouche with fruit and flower
surround and putto head, to John Pardoe, died 1680; also one to John Evett
died 1657, one to Richard Harrison died 1795, by W Stephens, decorated with
an urn and coat of arms, and one other late C18 memorial and an early C19
memorial. In the north aisle are 2 late C18 and 3 mid-C19 memorials, one of
which is to the scientist Sir Charles Bell. Glass: late C19 stained glass
in east window and C20 stained glass in east window of chapel.
The former parish church stood on a site about 300 yards north-east of
present church; it was replaced by an aisleless building c1830 which was
demolished when the present church was erected.


Listing NGR: SO8285157927

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.