History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hallow School

A Grade II Listed Building in Hallow, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2256 / 52°13'31"N

Longitude: -2.256 / 2°15'21"W

OS Eastings: 382607

OS Northings: 258625

OS Grid: SO826586

Mapcode National: GBR 1FQ.DFG

Mapcode Global: VH92L.VB57

Entry Name: Hallow School

Listing Date: 15 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1349372

English Heritage Legacy ID: 151738

Location: Hallow, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR2

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Hallow

Built-Up Area: Hallow

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Hallow

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Hallow

Listing Text

SO 85 SW HALLOW CP A 443 (west side)

4/68 Hallow School

II

Village school. 1857 by William Jeffrey Hopkins; mid-C20 alterations and
additions. Brick, blue brick surface ornamentation, stone dressings, tiled
roofs with parapets and kneelers at gable ends. High Victorian Gothic style.
Asymmetrical composition of large main schoolroom range, to east of which is
a smaller, parallel range with a large bell tower and adjacent small south
cross-wing. Single storey and attic; blue brick bands and also blue diaper
frieze at mid-wall height and below eaves level; corner buttresses with offsets;
large, multi-light traceried windows in gable ends. Main elevation to east:
range to right of bell tower has a 4-light and a 3-light flat headed window
separated by an early C20 gabled porch with pointed doorway and trefoil open-
ing above; at junction of porch roof ridge and main roof is a brick chimney
with offsets. The south cross-wing gable end has a 3-light window and circular
opening above pierced with quatrefoil. Bell tower of 3 stages; lower stage has
buttresses with offsets, pointed doorway and hood mould with returns continuing
as string, broad, round-lobed, part-glazed quatrefoil frieze above; second
stage has 3 narrow lights; third stage has clockface recessed within moulded
circular surround; 3 part-louvred, part-traceried openings to each face of bell
turret, tall pyramidal roof with fishscale tiles, and weathercock. The school
was founded in 1712 by Bishop Lloyd, with part of the money left by Anne Bull,
a local benefactress, died 1707, to purchase land to provide the endowment for
schools in Hallow, Grimley and Madresfield. The school had fallen into decay
by the early C19 and the present school was built with money from the rent
from Anne Bull's lands.


Listing NGR: SO8259358647

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.