This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1278 / 52°7'40"N
Longitude: -2.331 / 2°19'51"W
OS Eastings: 377437
OS Northings: 247771
OS Grid: SO774477
Mapcode National: GBR 0FF.KH8
Mapcode Global: VH92Y.KS16
Entry Name: Church of the Ascension Including Church Hall to East
Listing Date: 20 June 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1349465
English Heritage Legacy ID: 152219
Location: Malvern, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR14
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Malvern
Built-Up Area: Great Malvern
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Malvern Link with Cowleigh
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 74 NE
SOMERS PARK AVENUE
Church of the Ascension
Inc. Church Hall to East
Parish church. 1903 by (Sir) Walter Tapper. Rendered brick with
Guiting stone ashlar dressings. Collyweston stone tile roof,
chancel reclad in late C19 and west tower with organ chamber in
first stage. Church hall detached at east end of chancel. Free
Early English lancet style. Tall 4-bay nave with pairs of lancets
high in north and south walls between flat buttresses and with
high moulded plinth. South doorway of 2 orders and brattished
door. Plinth continues around chancel where ground is lower
giving impression that the 3-bay chancel is taller. Chancel has
single light lancets on north and south walls, triple lancet at
east end and stone bellcote at chancel nave junction. Small
ashlar west tower, cross-gabled and with 2-light north and south
bell openings; below west gable a stone relief of the Ascension by
Harry Hems of Exeter with carved inscription and triple lancet
below. Small stair turret in north west angle of nave and tower.
Wrought-iron weather-vane on tower, cross over east gable and
stone chimney on north side of chancel. Church hall at east end
has two pairs of 3-light cross-mullion transom windows in 2 bays
and is linked to chancel by a porch. Interior: Plastered walls and
stone dressings. Nave vault with transverse ribs on tall shafts.
Trifarium has 4 bay arcades in each of the naves 4 bays.
Tripartite arcade to organ loft over tower arch. Trifarium
continues around chancel which is rib-vaulted and has detached
shafts to tripartite east
window, 3-bay sedillia and tall chancel arch. Furnishings include
wrought-iron screen, font cover and alter ornaments by George
Bainbridge Reynolds. Rood from Oberammergau. Painted reredos.
Panelled polygonal pulpit with canopy. Purbeck marble font with
clusters of detached shafts. Choir stalls with poppy- head ends
and traceried fronts. Carving of St Michael over tower arch
probably by Hems.
Note: The church was the gift of Louisa Vavasour Livingstone in
memory of her husband Arthur Guinness Livingstone.
Sources: Architectural Review Vol. XIX (1906) page 187
Buildings of England, Worcestershire, p.166
The Builder 1904 10/12/1904.
Listing NGR: SO7743047773
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings