This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1736 / 52°10'24"N
Longitude: -3.0989 / 3°5'56"W
OS Eastings: 324946
OS Northings: 253380
OS Grid: SO249533
Mapcode National: GBR F2.57XL
Mapcode Global: VH77F.7MLM
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas of Canterbury
Listing Date: 16 October 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1349556
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150664
Location: Huntington, County of Herefordshire, HR5
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Huntington
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Huntington
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
HUNTINGTON CP HUNTINGTON
SO 25 SW
Church of St Thomas of Canterbury
Parish church. Circa 1300, altered early C17 and restored in 1892 and mid-
C20. Rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with decorative ridge
tiles and slate-hung bell turret. Continuous two-bay nave and single-bay
chancel with west bell turret and south porch. Nave and chancel: north
elevation has a C14 ogee-arched light at the eastern end, a central pair
of C19 lancets, and a loophole at the western end. South elevation has a
circa 1600 window of two lights with a square head at the eastern end and
a similar window (C19 externally) east of the porch. At the east end is a
pair of circa 1300 lancets and to the left of them are two corbels. The
west bell turret is C17 and square in plan with rectangular louvred bell
chamber openings, a pyramidal roof and weathervane. The south porch is C19.
It is gabled and timber-framed on a rubble base. The roof has overhanging
eaves on shaped brackets, moulded bargeboards and a pendant finial. There
is a moulded arch-braced tie-beam and four cusped pointed openings in each
side elevation above four rendered panels. The C14 doorway has chamfered
jambs and a pointed head. Interior: there is no chancel arch. The chancel
has a chamfered pointed arched organ recess in the north wall. At the west
end the bell turret stands on moulded posts; the eastern posts forming a
cusped pointed archway and are flanked by similar narrower archways to form
a screen with exposed timber-framing and rendered panels above.
has arch-braced collar and tie-beam trusses alternating with arch-braced
collar trusses. There are two tiers of cusped wind-braces and moulded wall-
plates. Chancel roof is similar but only has arch-braced collar trusses.
There is a C19 cusped ogee-arched arcaded rood screen with linenfold panel-
ling. The font is probably C14 and has an octagonal bowl with curved under-
sides on an octagonal stem and C19 base. The four-sided timber pulpit is C19.
In the nave are some C16 pews with trefoiled heads to the bench-ends.
Memorials: there is an early C19 memorial with a swan-necked pediment and
fluted pilasters in the nave to Mary Watkins, died 1801, by Richard Burgoyne
with addition at base to John Watkins, died 1891, by R Davies. Also memorials
to Elizabeth Watkins, died 1846, and William Watkins, died 1833 (possibly also
by R Davies). Floor-slab in nave to Thomas James, died 1713?.
Listing NGR: SO2494653380
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings