This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.117 / 52°7'1"N
Longitude: -3.0271 / 3°1'37"W
OS Eastings: 329765
OS Northings: 247013
OS Grid: SO297470
Mapcode National: GBR F5.8V1B
Mapcode Global: VH77V.H11Z
Entry Name: Old Cross Farmhouse
Listing Date: 19 August 1953
Last Amended: 31 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1349559
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150679
Location: Willersley and Winforton, County of Herefordshire, HR3
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Willersley and Winforton
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Winforton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
WINFORTON CP WINFORTON
SO 24 NE
5/124 Old Cross Farmhouse
19/8/53 (formerly listed as
Farmhouse, now house. Circa 1400, altered and extended C17 with further mid-
C19 and mid-C20 alterations. Timber-framed with painted brick and rendered
infill on rubble base, some rubble walling and painted brick refacing and
replacement walling; stone-tiled roofs laid in diminishing courses with a
pair of rubble diagonal ridge stacks with rebuilt brick caps at west end
of C17 part. Originally a medieval hall and cross-wing plan of which the
cross-wing survives and is of two cruck-framed bays aligned north/south.
The hall range on the east side was rebuilt in the C17 and has a large
chimney back adjacent to the cross-wing and a continuous lean-to outshut
at rear with a catslide roof. Single storey and attic. Framing: part of
cruck trusses with collars survive at both ends of cross-wing. C17 range
has three panels from sill to wall-plate, short straight upper corner braces
and a collar and tie-beam truss with four struts and a V-strut above the
collar at the east end. North front elevation: C17 range has a ground floor
2-light casement. Cross-wing gable end has a ground floor casement also of
two lights and a pair of attic lights with a continuous plank weathering.
Main entrance has a gabled timber porch with two-centred archway, inserted
C20 door and glazing within the arched.head. Attic light at east gable end.
Interior: the central cruck truss survives within the cross-wing. (RCHM, III,
p 213, item 5; BoE, p 323; Alcock, NW: CBA Cruck Catalogue, 1981).
Listing NGR: SO2976547013
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings