History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hospital Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Kyre, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.267 / 52°16'1"N

Longitude: -2.5505 / 2°33'1"W

OS Eastings: 362525

OS Northings: 263344

OS Grid: SO625633

Mapcode National: GBR BS.ZBSS

Mapcode Global: VH84S.Q8ZZ

Entry Name: Hospital Cottages

Listing Date: 6 October 1952

Last Amended: 24 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1349564

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150708

Location: Kyre, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR15

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Kyre

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Teme Valley South

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Hanley Child

Listing Text

KYRE CP KYRE PARK
SO 66 SW
6/21 Nos 1 - 4 Hospital Cottages
(formerly listed as
6.10.52 Pytts Almshouses)

GV II

Eight almshouses, now divided into four houses. Founded in 1716 by will of
Anne Pytts, with mid-C20 alterations. Handmade brick with plain tiled roofs,
gable-end parapets and brick stacks at rear. U-plan. Single storey and attic
with gabled dormers and three-course band at attic storey level. Openings
all have gauged flat heads. Main north-west elevation: ground floor windows
are the original wooden mullion and transom ones. Central range has four
windows and four doorways with moulded architraves and C20 doors, two of
which are partly glazed. Above the central two doors and windows is a painted
timber pediment which contains a circular motif enclosing three shields
and the word "SALOP". There is a ground floor window and a leaded attic light
at the gable ends of both of the wings, and above the attic light is an
additional brick band of two courses. There is a blocked doorway in both
angles with the central range. At the rear of the central range are additional
service wings. The building was founded for eight widows selected from Kyre
Parish and the seven surrounding parishes. (VCH, IV, p 285; BoE, p 281).


Listing NGR: SO6252563344

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.