This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1632 / 52°9'47"N
Longitude: -3.1022 / 3°6'7"W
OS Eastings: 324705
OS Northings: 252236
OS Grid: SO247522
Mapcode National: GBR F2.5TBS
Mapcode Global: VH77F.5WVJ
Entry Name: Goffs Endowed Day School and Huntingdon United Reformed Church
Listing Date: 31 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1349574
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150658
Location: Huntington, County of Herefordshire, HR5
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Huntington
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Huntington
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
HUNTINGTON CP -
SO 25 SW
1/103 Goff's Endowed Day School
and Huntington United
Reformed Church adjoining
Former school and adjoining Congregational Chapel, now United Reformed Church.
Dated 1791, with mid-C19 alterations and additions. Rubble with partly hipped
slate roofs and rubble end stacks. School: two storeys and attic with half-
dormers. Three bays; windows all have cambered heads. Ground floor has a
4-pane sash and 2-light casement; first floor has a 4-pane sash and two 2-
light casements. Two gabled dormers with moulded bargeboards and 2-light case-
ments. Central entrance has a C19 gabled rubble porch with brick dressings
and a round-headed archway; partly-glazed door within has a transom light
with a cambered head and three glazing bars. Above the central first floor
window is a datestone with the following inscription ornately inscribed,
"School was established/ in the Year/ 1791". A single-storey wing projects
at the left side with a rubble end ridge stack, and a 2-light casement and
a partly-glazed door in the angle. There is also a rendered single-storey
wing adjoining the right gable end with a brick ridge end stack. This has
a cross-casement with a cambered head in its front elevation and a half-
glazed gabled porch with scalloped bargeboards and pendant finial, and a
ledged and battened door within. Church: adjoins school to rear left. Two-
bay rectangular plan. Windows are all large cross-casements with cambered
heads. There is one window at the north-east end, two in the south-east
elevation and one in the north-west elevation. Entrance in north-west
elevation has a lean-to timber porch on an ashlar base with partly-glazed
double doors and a similar door within. Interior: some of fittings survive.
There is a west gallery on two moulded posts now blocked off. (BoE, p 198).
Listing NGR: SO2470552236
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings