History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

32, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Bromyard and Winslow, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1894 / 52°11'21"N

Longitude: -2.5074 / 2°30'26"W

OS Eastings: 365410

OS Northings: 254693

OS Grid: SO654546

Mapcode National: GBR FV.4BMT

Mapcode Global: VH856.H79G

Entry Name: 32, High Street

Listing Date: 12 April 1973

Last Amended: 9 February 2011

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1349641

English Heritage Legacy ID: 151022

Location: Bromyard and Winslow, County of Herefordshire, HR7

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Bromyard and Winslow

Built-Up Area: Bromyard

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Bromyard

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Bromyard

Listing Text

BROMYARD

815/1/191 HIGH STREET
12-APR-73 BROMYARD
32

(Formerly listed as:
HIGH STREET
BROMYARD
11)

GV II
No. 32 High Street is an C18 townhouse with extensive C19 remodelling.

MATERIALS: Brick, laid in Flemish bond, with stucco to the ground floor. It has some stone. There is a central brick chimneystack.

PLAN: The front range runs parallel to the High Street, with a perpendicular, long, rear range. A single-storey extension runs along the north-west side of the rear range.

ELEVATION: The principal elevation is of three storeys with a piano nobile and parapeted roof. It has two bays and is arranged symmetrically on the first and second floors. On the first floor are two tall casements with narrow, marginal glazing bars, the second floor has two, squat four-over-four sashes; all have exposed, painted-stone wedge lintels and are in plain reveals. Above the attic windows is a stone cornice. The ground floor has a tripartite sash-window to either side of the door, which is off-set to the right. The right-hand side window is narrower than the left. The front door has fielded panels with arched heads, a decoration which is repeated in the soffit of the recess, and there is a plain semi-circular fanlight above. There are plain pilasters to either side of the door-recess, terminating in moulded corbels supporting a moulded hood. Three stone steps splay down from the doorway. The rear range is also brick, and has an ornate door surround with Tuscan pillars and open pediment.

INTERIOR: The interior was not inspected for the purposes of this assessment, but this description has been informed by the Insight Historic Buildings Research report (2009).

The front range contains ornate plaster work: the main corridor has a cornice with acanthus leaf and flower motifs; there is a deeply recessed doorway which has a moulded plaster arch on moulded imposts; and there are two further moulded archways, one resting on corbels, the other again displaying the acanthus and flower motifs. This corridor leads through to a steep dog-leg staircase to the rear of the main range; it has a moulded wooded banister with splat-like balustrading, the tread-ends have cut-out designs which are most elaborate at ground-floor level. The ceiling mirrors the curve of the stair and has a moulded plaster border with a flower motif. The principal ground-floor room has a decorative fireplace with fluted pilasters, a deep, moulded mantle, and a cast-iron grate with tiled surround. There are high skirting boards and a moulded cornice. The principal first-floor room has similar features, and panelled window reveals. The rear range has some eclectic features, such as a mixed, tiled floor, and a wide veranda. There is a two-roomed cellar beneath the main range which is reached by stone steps. It has chamfered beams with finely-cut scroll stops.

HISTORY: Bromyard is a small market town that was first recorded in circa 840. No. 32 High Street is situated on one of the principal thoroughfares in the town which was known as Novus Vicus in the late C13 and recorded as Newe Streate in 1575. The street appears to have been fully built-up by the early C17, though some of the plots have been re-developed since that time.

SOURCES:
Dalwood H and Bryant V, An Archaeological Assessment of Bromyard - The Central Marches Historic Towns Survey 1992-6 (2005) - http://ads.ahds.ac. uk/catalogue/projArch/EUS/marches_eus_2005/downloads.cfm?county=herefordshire&area=bromyard&CFID=1543698&CFTOKEN=53188440 - Accessed on 18 August 2010
James D, Insight Historic Buildings Research, An Analysis of the Historic Fabric of Fifty Buildings in the Central Area of Bromyard, Herefordshire (2009)

Reasons for Designation
No. 32 High Street (formerly No. 11), an C18 house with extensive C19 remodelling, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: an interesting C19 fa├žade with pleasant detailing
* Interior: elaborate moulded interior features, and an ornate staircase
* Historic Interest: a pre-1840 house, with later remodelling
* Group Value: with many other listed buildings elsewhere in the High Street

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.