This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1889 / 52°11'19"N
Longitude: -2.5071 / 2°30'25"W
OS Eastings: 365430
OS Northings: 254636
OS Grid: SO654546
Mapcode National: GBR FV.4BQ6
Mapcode Global: VH856.H7GV
Entry Name: 9, High Street
Listing Date: 12 April 1973
Last Amended: 9 February 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1349642
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151025
Location: Bromyard and Winslow, County of Herefordshire, HR7
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Bromyard and Winslow
Built-Up Area: Bromyard
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Bromyard
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
815/1/196 HIGH STREET
(Formerly listed as:
Shop with flats above. Early C19 with late-C19 shop front.
MATERIALS: Probably brick with stucco to front; parapeted roof with slate covering.
PLAN: It is a narrow building of one bay with a double-depth on plan and of three storeys; it is extended to the rear.
EXTERIOR: The building is of two storeys and an attic. It has a one-window front (north-east). The first floor has eight/eight pane hornless sashes in recessed surrounds with projecting cills; the second floor has four/four-pane sashes in plain reveals with projecting cills. The ground floor has a late-C19 shop front with a plate-glass window in a shallow bay. It has a six-panel door, the upper four panels of which are glazed.
INTERIOR: Not inspected. Documentary evidence refers to a late-Victorian stained-glass lancet window, and a decorative fireplace and hob.
HISTORY: Bromyard is a small market town that was first recorded in circa 840. No. 9 High Street is situated on one of the principal thoroughfares in the town which was known as Novus Vicus in the late C13 and recorded as Newe Streate in 1575. The street appears to have been fully built up by the early C17, though some of the plots have been re-developed since that time.
REASON FOR DESIGNATION: No. 9 High Street, an early C19 building with Victorian shop front, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural: a well-preserved example of a modest, but well-proportioned late-Georgian building
* Intactness: a substantially intact early-C19 facade with later shop front
* Group Value: with its immediate neighbours and many other listed buildings elsewhere in the High Street
Other nearby listed buildings