History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Swanstone Court and Attached Outbuildings and Hop Kiln

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dilwyn, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1724 / 52°10'20"N

Longitude: -2.818 / 2°49'4"W

OS Eastings: 344154

OS Northings: 253001

OS Grid: SO441530

Mapcode National: GBR FF.5CM3

Mapcode Global: VH77L.3NLG

Entry Name: Swanstone Court and Attached Outbuildings and Hop Kiln

Listing Date: 20 February 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1349817

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149813

Location: Dilwyn, County of Herefordshire, HR4

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Dilwyn

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Dilwyn and Stretford

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Birley

Listing Text

SO 45 SW DILWYN CP KNAPTON GREEN

7/31 Swanstone Court
and attached outbuildings
and hop kiln
20.2.53
II*

House and attached outbuildings and hop kiln. C14, extended C17, partly
rebuilt early C18, extended mid-C19, with some late C20 restoration. Timber-
frame with painted brick and rendered infill on a coursed rubble plinth,
partially refaced in coursed rubble, with slate roof. L-plan with solar cross-
wing extending to north, hall range to east, extended to east in C17, with a
C17 outbuilding to south linked by a C20 range to main building. North front
is blind to left, then a two-storey block faced in rubble with two windows, a
2-light casement to the left and a 3-light casement to right. Ground floor
has a 2-light casement to left and a tripartite sash to right both under seg-
mental heads with keystones. Entrance to left of centre has a C19 gabled
canopy with trellised sides and a half-glazed door. Solar cross-wing projects
to right with a boxed sash window on each floor, a 16-pane one to first floor,
20-pane to ground floor. Exposed framing of cross-wing is five square panels
high to north gable, six square panels high to side walls. The gable has
cusped angle struts and two cusped raking struts to the gable above. C17
range to left is three square panels high. Attached to rear of this range,
a circular brick hop kiln with conieal roof. The outbuilding is three square
panels high with external rubble stack. Interior not inspected, but west wall
of hall retains original framed panels with large quatrefoils. The roof of the
solar range is cusped throughout. (RCHM, 3, p 40, no.5; BoE; p 112).


Listing NGR: SO4415453001

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.