History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garnons and the Upper Terrace

A Grade II Listed Building in Mansell Gamage, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0897 / 52°5'22"N

Longitude: -2.882 / 2°52'55"W

OS Eastings: 339667

OS Northings: 243849

OS Grid: SO396438

Mapcode National: GBR FC.BFRP

Mapcode Global: VH77Y.0Q8X

Entry Name: Garnons and the Upper Terrace

Listing Date: 23 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1349867

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149987

Location: Mansell Gamage, County of Herefordshire, HR4

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Mansell Gamage

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Byford and Mansel Gamage

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Staunton on Wye

Listing Text

MANSELL GAMAGE CP -
SO 34 SE
4/29 Garnons and the
upper terrace

GV II

Country house and terrace. 1814-1820 by William Atkinson, extended c1855
by Thomas Blashill, remodelled 1907-8 by Sir Reginald Blomfield, and
partially demolished in 1957. Ashlar with hipped slate roof. South front:
to left building of c1860, to right the remnants of the 1814-1820 work. The
block to the left now consists of a loggia, with to the right a three-bay
conservatory with large sash windows. This sits on the upper terrace which
is a battlemented parapet, with an entrance to the left between two shallow
projections. This has a massive panelled door. The 1860 range to the left
is of two storeys on a basement lit by lancets. The parapet is crenellated
and there is a corner turret to the left of three storeys. One plus six
windows, mostly 20-pane C20 sashes under square labels, save the window to
the left which has a four-centred head. (BoE, p 249; Reid, P: Burke's & Savill's
Guide to Country Houses, Volume II, Herefordshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire and
Worcestershire, 1980, London pp 28-29).


Listing NGR: SO3966743849

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.