History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Orleton House

A Grade II Listed Building in Orleton, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3003 / 52°18'1"N

Longitude: -2.7466 / 2°44'47"W

OS Eastings: 349187

OS Northings: 267172

OS Grid: SO491671

Mapcode National: GBR BJ.XBHD

Mapcode Global: VH84H.BFVX

Entry Name: Orleton House

Listing Date: 11 June 1959

Last Amended: 11 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1349872

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150122

Location: Orleton, County of Herefordshire, SY8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Orleton

Built-Up Area: Orleton

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Orleton

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Orleton

Listing Text

ORLETON CP KINGS ROAD (north side)
SO 4967
10/100 Orleton House
(formerly listed as
11.6.59 Lower House)

GV II

House. Early C17, restored mid-C20. Timber-frame with rendered infill and
tile roof. T-plan, rear range to north-west, with large axial stack, front
range aligned north-east/south-west with external rubble stack to south gable.
South front of two storeys to the central bay jettied with gable above, the
first floor with a 3-light casement under a plank weathering. The attics of
each flanking bay are lit by a gabled dormer. On ground floor there are
three 3-light casements. The entrance to right of centre has a ledged and
boarded door. Framing is four square panels high, the bressummer of the
jetty moulded and supported by curved brackets. There are straight angle
braces, and the gable above has two struts to the collar with V-struts in
apex. Rear wing is of two storeys, with attic lit by framed dormer in the
north wall. This retains a 4-light mullion and transom window with ovolo
mouldings set within herringbone framing arranged to form lozenges, the gable
with a king-post and herringbone struts. A similar window at north end of
first storey of same wall has a similar window with heavily moulded sill.
The gable-end stack has a cast iron fireback inscribed "F.B/1630" set in the
outside. Interior: the south room of the rear wing has heavily moulded ceil-
ing beams. (RCHM, 3, p 157, no 7; Parkinson J and Ould E A: Old Cottages,
Farm Houses and other half-timbered buildings in Shropshire, Herefordshire
and Cheshire, 1904, pl 32).


Listing NGR: SO4918767172

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.