History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Court House Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Richards Castle (Hereford), County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3242 / 52°19'27"N

Longitude: -2.7475 / 2°44'51"W

OS Eastings: 349147

OS Northings: 269834

OS Grid: SO491698

Mapcode National: GBR BJ.VQ8B

Mapcode Global: VH849.BVB3

Entry Name: Court House Farmhouse

Listing Date: 11 June 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1349875

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150138

Location: Richards Castle (Hereford), County of Herefordshire, SY8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Richards Castle (Hereford)

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Richards Castle

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Orleton

Listing Text

RICHARD'S CASTLE CP -
SO 46 NE
3/115 Court House Farmhouse
11.6.59

GV II*

Farmhouse. Early C17, refitted late C17 to early C18, with a late C18
extension, and some early C20 alterations. T-plan, cross-wing aligned
north/south, extended to south in C18, other range to west has been
shortened. Stack at junction of two ranges. East front of two storeys
on cellar, C18 extension to left has two 2-light casements, under segmental
heads, and on ground floor a canted bay window. The C17 portion is jettied
and has 3-light casement over two boxed glazing bar sashes, as well as a
gable-lit attic. Entrance in north wall through a C20 lean-to porch.
Framing: the cross-wing jettied on north, east and south, the last obscured
by C18 wing, with moulded bressummer and scroll brackets. The framing is
two rectangular panels high to the ground floor and three square panels high
to first floor. North gable has two collars with nibbed curved braces in
the square panels. Other range of four square panels high with straight
angle braces. Interior: the north-east room has early C18 panelling with
moulded cornice and dado-rail, the fireplace is flanked by fluted pilasters.
The cupboard in the south-west corner is panelled and incorporates some splat-
balusters. The main staircase is rebuilt including some C17 turned balusters.
The north-east room is lined with re-set panelling. The overmantel has a
painted wooden panel of the late C17 to early C18 depicting the nine Muses
and Pegasus on a distant hill. (RCHM, 3, p 173-4, no 5; Parkinson, J and
Ould EA: Old Cottages, Farmhouses and other half-timber buildings in
Shropshire, Herefordshire and Cheshire, 1904, pl 29).


Listing NGR: SO4914769834

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.