This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3454 / 52°20'43"N
Longitude: -2.8192 / 2°49'9"W
OS Eastings: 344289
OS Northings: 272241
OS Grid: SO442722
Mapcode National: GBR BF.TBMK
Mapcode Global: VH76T.29YV
Entry Name: Manor Cottage
Listing Date: 11 June 1959
Last Amended: 9 September 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1349905
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150191
Location: Burrington, County of Herefordshire, SY8
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Burrington
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Wigmore Abbey
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 47 SW BURRINGTON
1421/3/12 Manor Cottage
Farmhouse, now house. Early C17, with late C20 alterations. Timber-framed with rendered infill on rubble base, some painted brick and rubble refacing; machine-tiled roofs with brick stack at north end of ridge. T-plan comprised of single-bay hall aligned east/west which has an external brick chimney with oversailing cap courses on south side; cross-wing of two-and-a-half bays adjoins west end. Two storeys.
FRAMING: four rows of panels, two rows per storey. The east end of the hall and the north end of the cross-wing have jet tied gables on shaped brackets; the first floors were also jettied but the hall jetty has been underbuilt in brick and the cross-wing jetty has been underbuilt in rubble. The jet tied first floor on the north side of the hall still survives. The east end of the hall has a tie-beam truss with decorative latticed struts. The gable ends of the cross-wings have collar and tie-beam trusses with three collars with rows of seven, five and three struts beneath each collar and a single strut in the apex (the truss at the north end is a C20 replacement).
EAST FRONT ELEVATION: windows are all C20 casements. The gable end of the hall has a 2-light window on both floors. There are also two 2-light windows on the ground floor of the cross-wing, one on each side of the projecting central hall bay. The main entrance is now at the south end of the cross-wing and has a C20 door with a plank weathering. There are two gabled half-dormers to the rear of the cross-wing.
INTERIOR: the hall has a chamfered cross-beamed ceiling.
(RCHM, Herefs, Vol 111, 1934, p 29)
Listing NGR: SO4428972241
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings