History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kemerton Methodist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Kemerton, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0368 / 52°2'12"N

Longitude: -2.0777 / 2°4'39"W

OS Eastings: 394768

OS Northings: 237597

OS Grid: SO947375

Mapcode National: GBR 2KL.9JW

Mapcode Global: VH93N.X2ZG

Entry Name: Kemerton Methodist Chapel

Listing Date: 2 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1349975

English Heritage Legacy ID: 148543

Location: Kemerton, Wychavon, Worcestershire, GL20

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon

Civil Parish: Kemerton

Built-Up Area: Kemerton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Kemerton St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Beckford

Listing Text

KEMERTON CP UPPER KEMERTON
SO 9437 - 9537
9/90 Kemerton Methodist Chapel
GV II

Chapel. Circa 1819 for William Mumford. Coursed dressed limestone rubble with
ashlar dressings and hipped plain tiled roof with a brick stack on the north side.
Rectangular two-bay plan. Windows have square heads and are mullioned with
round-headed lights. There is a 2-light window at the west end above a blocked
opening with a stone lintel. In the south elevation are two 3-light windows
and between them is a diamond-shaped datestone inscribed "WM/1819". There is
a brick schoolroom adjoining the east elevation. It has a dentilled eaves
cornice and in the south elevation are two 24-pane sashes with wedge lintels
and a 6-panelled door with a flat canopy on shaped brackets and a 12-pane transom
above. Interior: panelled dado survives. The Mumford family were the largest
landowners in Kemerton after the rector and the lord of the manor and were leaders
of the local Methodist community. [VCH, Vol 8, p 219 (Glos)].


Listing NGR: SO9476837597

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.