This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0357 / 52°2'8"N
Longitude: -2.0622 / 2°3'44"W
OS Eastings: 395827
OS Northings: 237483
OS Grid: SO958374
Mapcode National: GBR 2KM.7FY
Mapcode Global: VHB14.63M7
Entry Name: Overbury Village Hall
Listing Date: 2 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1349983
English Heritage Legacy ID: 148578
Location: Overbury, Wychavon, Worcestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Overbury
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Overbury with Teddington, Alstone and Little Washbourne with Beckford and Ashton-under-Hill
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
OVERBURY CP -
SO 9437 - 9537
9/125 Overbury Village Hall
Village hall. 1895-6 by Richard Norman Shaw for Robert Martin. Snecked
dressed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; machine-tiled roof with
overhanging bracketted eaves, gable-end parapets and ashlar ridge stack
with moulded capping. Cruciform plan with main range aligned north/south
and having small wings to west and east and also east porch. Single storey
with dormers and chamfered plinth. Windows all have leaded lights. Main east
elevation: main part to south of wing has a 6-light chamfered mullioned window
with a king mullion and transom on the right side of the porch. There are
three flat-roofed dormers with moulded cornices and 6-light wood mullioned
windows with a transom; the outer lights are canted. The east porch has a
shallow-pitched gabled lead roof with a segmental headed gable-end parapet,
each end of which is swept upwards and which is surmounted by a ball finial.
There is a moulded plinth and impost band and a wide round-headed moulded arch-
way interrupted by large alternating voussoirs in the manner of a Gibbs surround.
There is a small rectangular light in the left side of the porch. To the north
of the wing is a 2-light chamfered mullioned window and a doorway with a 4-
centred head. The east wing has a large 6-light chamfered mullioned window in
its gable end with a king mullion and a transom. On the lintel of the window
is written, "ERECTED BY ROBERT MARTIN IN THE YEAR 1896", and there is a blank
square datestone in the gable apex. At the south gable end is a central buttress
flanked by tall 3-light mullioned windows divided into nine lights by two transoms.
In the north gable end is a rectangular light and also a 6-light window similar
to those in the east elevation; above in the gable apex is a 4-light and a 2-light
mullioned window. (Saint, A: Richard Norman Shaw, London, 1976; BoE, p 233).
Listing NGR: SO9583137490
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings