This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.629 / 52°37'44"N
Longitude: -1.1514 / 1°9'4"W
OS Eastings: 457535
OS Northings: 303810
OS Grid: SK575038
Mapcode National: GBR FBM.TG
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.85ZW
Entry Name: Vicarage to the Church of the Martyrs
Listing Date: 9 January 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1350378
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489947
Location: Leicester, LE3
County: City of Leicester
Unitary Authority Ward: Westcotes
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester The Martyrs
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
718/0/10183 WESTCOTES DRIVE
09-JAN-03 Vicarage to the Church of the Martyrs
Vicarage. 1902-4. By Everard and Pick for the Harris family. Red brick with stone dressings and Swithland slate hipped roof with mutule cornice, tall brick ridge, side and gable end stacks. Queen Anne Revival style. 2 storeys, cellar and attic. 6-window range of 6/6 sashes over 6/9 sashes with 3 in canted bay to left and 3 grouped to right. Attic gable over bay has 2-light casement. Left side has a flat-roofed porch with stone doorway inscribed 'The Vicarage' and door within. Projecting gable behind has tall 6/9 sash over casement and there is a small oriel window behind this. Right side has projecting stack and curved roofed dormer with 4-light casement. Rear has gable with triple 4/4: 6/6: 4/4 sash over 4/6: 6/9: 4/6 sash and 2-light casement in attic gable. Door and casement over between this and 2-storey and single-storey wing projecting to rear on right which has a further sash and casements.
INTERIOR. The fine little-altered interior has austere art-nouveau staircase from ground floor to attic with splat balusters and newels with carved tops. Careful glazed screening inserted between first floor and attic c.1970. Fine austere fireplaces in rooms on all three floors, some with overmantels. Some rooms have wide embossed paper friezes above picture rails, the study has trailing foliage pattern plasterwork to ceiling, and the library has panelling with tall plain panels and a fitted bookcase. Cloakroom has tiling including an art nouveau style frieze.
A fine vicarage of the period with many good interior features surviving. Forms a significant group with the adjacent Church of the Martyrs (q.v.).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings