This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6289 / 52°37'44"N
Longitude: -1.1508 / 1°9'2"W
OS Eastings: 457577
OS Northings: 303801
OS Grid: SK575038
Mapcode National: GBR FBM.YH
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.958Y
Entry Name: Church of the Martyrs
Listing Date: 9 January 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1350379
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489948
Location: Leicester, LE3
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Westcotes
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester The Martyrs
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
718/0/10182 WESTCOTES DRIVE
09-JAN-03 Church of the Martyrs
Church. 1889-90. By Ewan Christian for the Harris family. Red brick with stone dressings and Westmorland slate roof with stone-coped gables. Early English style. East end apse, nave with north transept and narrow northern aisle and wider south aisle, west end has entrance lean-to and baptistery apse. South east tower with pyramidal spire. Apse has narrow lancets. North transept has paired lancet window with roundel above. North aisle has 3-light mullion and transom windows. South tower is of 3 stages with occasional lancets to the lower stages and a polygonal stair projection to east, then triple lancet bell-chamber openings with corbel table above and spire. South aisle has lancets and on west end a doorway within moulded arch at the end of the lean-to. This has lancets to west continuing round the baptistery apse. Above is the west window of 4 lancets with roundel above.
INTERIOR. Eastern apse has wooden vaulted roof rising from stone shafts and corbels. Panelling below. Central reredos with a moulded relief showing Christ in Glory holding a chalice and kneeling knight and mother and child. Carved chancel fittings including choir stalls, organ screen and pulpit. Stained glass in apse windows re-arranged. Stained glass in south windows. Boarded keel-shaped nave roof rises from cove and curved braces on stone corbels. Moulded brick nave arcades on round stone columns with octagonal capitals. Pews to nave and south aisles. The organ screen at the head of the south aisle has panelling with memorial inscriptions to members of the Harris family of Westcotes and their benefactions to the church. West arcade leads to narthex with baptistery which has stone tub font on colonnettes.
A very harmonious design with finely detailed interior and many fittings surviving.
Forms a significant group with the adjacent vicarage (q.v.).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings