History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Catherine

A Grade II* Listed Building in Littleton and Harestock, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0936 / 51°5'37"N

Longitude: -1.3538 / 1°21'13"W

OS Eastings: 445351

OS Northings: 132901

OS Grid: SU453329

Mapcode National: GBR 85M.6LH

Mapcode Global: FRA 8617.BF0

Entry Name: Church of St Catherine

Listing Date: 5 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1350469

English Heritage Legacy ID: 145728

Location: Littleton and Harestock, Winchester, Hampshire, SO22

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: Littleton and Harestock

Built-Up Area: Littleton

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Littleton St Catherine of Alexandria

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Littleton

Listing Text

SU 43 SE LITTLETON MAIN ROAD

6/4 Church of St Catherine
5.12.55
GV II*

Parish Church. C12 and C13, heavily restored 1885-97 by T.E. Williams. Rubble
flint and reused stone, stone dressings, old plain tile roof. Norman church of
chancel and nave, C19 N aisle with NE vestry, and S porch. C19 chancel E window
of 5 trefoiled lights below transom, arched traceried head above. C19 SE stepped
buttress. On S wall 2 C13 pointed lancets, one with trefoiled head. Nave S wall
has at E C15 stepped buttress, C19 flint and brick gabled porch in centre with to
E C19 2-light cinquefoiled window. N wall has aisle and vestry, set back at E
with 2-light E window, reset C14 pointed doorway to NE and 3 C19 square-headed
cinquefoiled windows with buttress between and 2-light W window. W end of nave
has large C19 round-headed window with in gable pair of pointed bell openings with
bells, dated 1897. Inside chancel E window has double chamfered 3-centred rear
arch. N wall has wide opening for an organ. In SE corner C13 pointed piscina
with restored bowl. Pointed chancel arch of 1885 has in lower half stone screen
with squints either side, both being poor C19 copies of originals. Remains of
original jamb of arch and archway survive near ground. High on E wall of nave
to S is C14 stone trefoil. S nave window has old 3-centred rear arch and similar
arch to W window. C19 pointed S door inside older round-headed opening. N arcade
of 2 pointed arches with round columns and responds. 2 small brasses set in slab
in front of chancel arch 1505 and 1499 to John Smythe and his wife Alisia. In
SW corner Norman Purbeck font, late C12, square top with patterns, not arcading,
on sides, round bowl, central drum and corner columns on square base with rounded
corners. Roof restored C15 crown post of 2 bays with ashlar pieces, curves braces
and plain posts.


Listing NGR: SU4534832783

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.