This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0871 / 51°5'13"N
Longitude: -1.2405 / 1°14'25"W
OS Eastings: 453288
OS Northings: 132252
OS Grid: SU532322
Mapcode National: GBR 972.R6K
Mapcode Global: FRA 8697.SMW
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 5 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1350483
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145608
Location: Itchen Valley, Winchester, Hampshire, SO21
Civil Parish: Itchen Valley
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: The Itchen Valley
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 5332 ITCHEN VALLEY AVINGTON
14/32 Church of St Mary
Parish church. 1768 - 71. Brick with Portland stone dressings, old plain
tile roof, with lead ridges. Single cell 3 bay church and W tower. Moulded
brick plinth and bays divided by pilasters with plinth and cornice carried
round, and at ends pilasters clasp round corners. Venetian E window and on
N side a central door with window each side and on S door at W and 2 windows to E,
all with arched opening of rubbed brick with stone key blocks and leaded glazing.
Doorways with stone rustication of alternating sizes. Cornice all round with
battlemented parapet. Tower of 3 stages with clasping corner buttress pilasters,
moulded brick strings and battlemented cresting. Inside all features extremely
well preserved. Plastered wall above panelled dado to height of the box pews,
cornices and coved plaster ceiling. Reredos with open segmental pediment.
Wrought iron or lead altar rails. Pulpit with domed tester in centre on S.
W gallery dated 1771; on it barrel organ in Gothick case given in 1848 by
Lady Shelley. Below grey marble baluster font and above royal coat of arms
of George III. All furnishings of Spanish mahogany. C18 brass chandelier.
Monuments: 1751 to George Bridges of yellow, grey and pink marble, inscribed
base, above sarcophagus with urn in middle behind 2 columns supporting broken
pediment; 1768 to Marchioness of carvarvon, who commissioned church, of pink
and white marble with long inscription panel, above in middle obelisk, each side
urn; 1786 to John Jeffreys; 1836 to Duke of Buckingham and Chandos; 1865 to
Mrs. Peel, daughter of Shelley; 1866 Sir John Shelley.
Listing NGR: SU5321032083
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings