This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9982 / 50°59'53"N
Longitude: -1.3334 / 1°20'0"W
OS Eastings: 446876
OS Northings: 122301
OS Grid: SU468223
Mapcode National: GBR 86S.CPP
Mapcode Global: FRA 863G.SF9
Entry Name: Brambridge House
Listing Date: 5 December 1955
Last Amended: 27 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1350494
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145762
Location: Colden Common, Winchester, Hampshire, SO50
Civil Parish: Colden Common
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Twyford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
310/8/32 KILN LANE
05-DEC-55 Brambridge House
(Formerly listed as:
Large country house, converted into flats. Circa 1762 incorporating earlier building, remodelled after fire in 1872 by M. Digby-Wyatt. Stuccoed brick, slate roof.
3 storey, 9 bay double pile; building in H-shape with river front and rooms
behind rebuilt and single storey pavilions added C19. C18 garden front is
largely unaltered except for added stucco dressings. 3 storey, 5 bay centre
with 2 bays each end projecting half a bay. Between wings is colonnade of
6 fluted Doric columns with simplified entablature over and iron railings
above to 1st floor balcony. Door was in left bay of centre part. On ground
floor french windows,and tall casements with low sills in wings and all along
1st floor, each with blind box. Similar but smaller windows on 2nd floor.
Rusticated quoins and string courses to sills of 1st and 2nd floor windows
with heavily modillioned cornice and low parapet above crowned with urns
on corners. Roof hipped with stacks on end walls and at left end of centre
part and between right bays of centre part. River side rebuilt as 3 storeys
on cellar, 7 bays with single storey on cellar, 3 bay pavilions at each end
projecting forward half a bay. In front of centre bay single storey porch
with cartouche, in stucco, over.
INTERIOR altered after conversion to flats. Large entrance and staircase hall
by Wyatt. Inside on garden front in centre bays, narrow entrance hall with
late C18 ceiling and large drawing room with similar ceiling and contemporary
fireplace, both ceilings with original paint, in Adam style.
Listing NGR: SU4837821808
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings