History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Cross

A Grade II* Listed Building in Durley, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9501 / 50°57'0"N

Longitude: -1.2819 / 1°16'54"W

OS Eastings: 450542

OS Northings: 116981

OS Grid: SU505169

Mapcode National: GBR 87G.6RZ

Mapcode Global: FRA 866L.NFD

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross

Listing Date: 6 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1350572

English Heritage Legacy ID: 146183

Location: Durley, Winchester, Hampshire, SO32

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: Durley

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Durley Holy Cross

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Curdridge

Listing Text

DURLEY CHURCH LANE
SU 51 NW
3/11 Church of The Holy Cross
6.3.67
II*

Parish church. Mainly c1300, C14 transepts, restorations of 1879 and 1884 by
Colson, when the walls were roughcast and dormers were inserted. Walls roughcast
with a variety of buttresses, simple Gothic windows of the restoration period.
Tile roof, gabled dormers to the nave, west end bell turret with boarded walls and
broach spire. Aisleless nave and chancel, with north and south transepts,
Victorian vestry and south porch (set in the angle with the transept). The interior
is plain with mainly Victorian fittings: there is a pulpit with Tester of 1630, a
Norman font on pillars, and a fragment of C14 wall painting, representing a ship.
A feature of the interior is the continuous line of roof timbers, crossing the
Transepts on coupled wall plates, another is the massive timber frame of the bell
turret at the west end of the nave. One wall monument of 1757.


Listing NGR: SU5083117713

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.