History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rookesbury

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wickham, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9021 / 50°54'7"N

Longitude: -1.1677 / 1°10'3"W

OS Eastings: 458621

OS Northings: 111729

OS Grid: SU586117

Mapcode National: GBR 99H.CLJ

Mapcode Global: FRA 86FQ.JWF

Entry Name: Rookesbury

Listing Date: 6 March 1967

Last Amended: 1 September 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1350588

English Heritage Legacy ID: 146285

Location: Wickham, Winchester, Hampshire, PO17

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: Wickham

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Wickham

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Wickham

Listing Text

WICKHAM SOUTHWICK ROAD
SU 51 SE
6/15 Rookesbury (formerly listed as
Rookesbury Park School)
6.3.67
II*

Mansion, now a school. 1824. Walls of stucco, with 'Greek' classical details;
plinth, moulded cornice below a blocking course (shallow parapet), wide pilasters
of small projection, architraves to window openings (with frieze and cornice to
the ground-floor). Hipped slate roof. Symmetrical treatment of the three main
two-storeyed facades; the west front elevation has a porch with a window at each
side, flanked by pilasters. Sashes in reveals. The porch projects with a window
at each side, the Portland stone front part having four smooth columns, with
pilasters (coupled on the return elevation), a pediment, Ionic details, the
stone-flagged area finishing as three steps between flanking walls: within
there is a doorway with an architrave, a plain frieze, and a cornice supported
on console brackets, and half-glazed doors. The wider south elevation has a
central full-height bay of elliptical form, 1.1.3.1.1 windows. Sashes, those to
the ground floor of the outside bays being triple, in the centre a French window.
The east elevation has 2.1.2 windows, and from it to the north side extends a
lower two-storeyed service wing of 2.1.2 windows, linking to a taller crosswing:
behind the centre of the wing rises a clock tower with an upper bell stage,
square form with corner pilasters and pyramid leaded roof: in front of the wing
(and masking its lower part) is a curving verandah of 6 bays, with flat roof and
trellis columns. Neat C20 extensions have been built, within the L-shape of
the complete service block, and beyond the verandah. Inside, the main block
retains many original details, including a large entrance hall with niches, and
a stone floor.


Listing NGR: SU5799411303

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.