This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8709 / 50°52'15"N
Longitude: -1.1438 / 1°8'37"W
OS Eastings: 460340
OS Northings: 108281
OS Grid: SU603082
Mapcode National: GBR 99X.CMC
Mapcode Global: FRA 86HS.VK3
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 6 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1350613
English Heritage Legacy ID: 146329
Location: Boarhunt, Winchester, Hampshire, PO17
Civil Parish: Boarhunt
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Boarhunt
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU 60 NW BOARHUNT
13/6 Church of St Nicholas
Parish church of a 'deserted' village. Saxon (c1064) with C13 features, and
restoration of 1853, including the east and west walls. Flint walls with stone
dressings, some areas plastered, the chancel having coursed work with fine galletting: one Saxon window (now filled) with deep exterior splay and cable decoration, the east gable with vertical and horizontal lesesnes, C13 lancets and one coupled C16 window, blocked north and south nave doorways with pointed arches, small blocked priests door, thin west end Victorian buttresses and stone bell turret. Tile roof. Aisleless nave and chancel of original form, tall Saxon chancel arch with moulded impost blocks, with recessed (C14) arches on each side, joined with arches to recesses at the east end of the nave (each containing a window): small piscina south of the altar. Stone tub font. Wall monument of 1824, and the base of a large monument standing in front of the former south door (of 1763), and in the chancel an Elizabethan (1577) classical tomb monument of three bays and Corinthian Order, with a lower part containing commemorative inscribed panels (all C20) to the Henslow family. A feature of the building is the series of furnishings of early C18 style in pinewood (1853?), which includes communion rails, a three-decker pulpit, a squire's pew, and a western gallery above the panelled lobby of the west entrance.
Listing NGR: SU6096909396
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings