This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0689 / 51°4'8"N
Longitude: -1.3143 / 1°18'51"W
OS Eastings: 448140
OS Northings: 130174
OS Grid: SU481301
Mapcode National: GBR 85V.Y8J
Mapcode Global: FRA 8649.7SR
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1350689
English Heritage Legacy ID: 144671
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
Electoral Ward/Division: St Bartholomew
Built-Up Area: Winchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester, Hyde St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
869/1/147 KING ALFRED PLACE
24-MAR-50 (North side)
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
Church. Sited in a churchyard, close to the remains of the gate to Hyde Abbey. C12 origins (S doorway; N arcade) but the work of this period has either been thoroughly re-tooled or copied in the C19. The tower is probably C15. The chancel was rebuilt 1857-9 by Colson. The N side of the church is thought to be rebuilt 1879-80. Chancel refurbished in 1912. MATERIALS: Flint with freestone dressings, the tower chequered knapped flint and freestone; tiled roofs. PLAN: W tower, nave with 4-bay N arcade under a catslide roof; chancel; N transept; NE chapel with vestry abutting its N side; SW porch.
EXTERIOR: The S wall is medieval or earlier with scattered windows, all apparently renewed in the C19: two with Perpendicular style tracery and one trefoil-headed lancet. Shallow gabled C19 porch with a round-headed outer doorway. The inner doorway is c1130 in style, round-headed with zig-zag and billet mouldings, nook shafts and a tympanum carved with sunk triangles. Pevsner considers it to be retooled. The porch includes a pillar piscina from the church of Hyde Abbey. The W tower has diagonal E buttresses and a low pyramidal roof. Small 2-light belfry windows with chamfered lights in a square-headed frame. Chamfered W doorway to tower. The N aisle wall has a buttressed wall and 3 large gabled half dormers in the catslide roof. These have paired windows with cusped lights below a quatrefoil. The N aisle has a shallow W end porch. The 1859 chancel has a triple lancet E window. The NE chapel has 2-light C19 plate traceried windows. The vestry has an E doorway and a tall chimney shaft with 4-way gables at the top.
INTERIOR: The 4-bay N arcade has round columns with volute capitals round double roll-moulded round-headed arches. Very wide round-headed chancel arch. 4-centred chamfered tower arch. C19 roofs, crown post and tie beam to the nave, the crown posts with 2-way braces; canted scissor-braced chancel roof and an A-frame roof to the NE chapel. The chancel has a timber reredos with a fretted frame, marble paving and a timber dado with a plaque giving a refurbishment date of 1912. The choir stalls are probably early C20, with poppyhead ends and chancel screen and rood figure. 20 nave benches. Plain font with a square bowl on a cylindrical stem. Polygonal timber pulpit with a brattished cornice and statues in niches. High quality architectural fragments of c1130 from Hyde Abbey. Several wall plaques, mostly C19 in date.
HISTORY: Originally the parish church of Hyde, now absorbed into Winchester.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: A church of C12 origins, with a later medieval tower, with high quality architectural fragments from Hyde Abbey.
Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, 1967, p 296; Victoria County History, Hampshire, Vol V, pp 69-70
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings