This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0607 / 51°3'38"N
Longitude: -1.3186 / 1°19'6"W
OS Eastings: 447847
OS Northings: 129264
OS Grid: SU478292
Mapcode National: GBR 861.HFC
Mapcode Global: FRA 8649.S4S
Entry Name: Peninsular Barracks Chapel and Schoolroom
Listing Date: 11 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1350752
English Heritage Legacy ID: 144909
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michael
Built-Up Area: Winchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester St Lawrence with St Swithun-upon-Kingsgate
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 4729 SE 5/451 Peninsular Barracks
Chapel and Schoolroom
SCHOOLROOM AND CHAPEL. 1852, with later C19 additions. Walls of red brick with coursed
squared flint panels and Portland Stone dressings. Roofs slated except south porch,
asphalt. Simple rectangular plan, partitioned to give schoolroom to south and chapel
to north; entered via low porch to south. Late C19 additions to chapel. East and West
elevations Ubays, separated by brick pilasters with stone imposts, from which spring
segemental arches carrying a continuous eaves. Each bay has a 40 pane cast iron window
(the centre modified to open) in an opening with stone cill, brick jambs and cambered
brick arch set in a panel of flintwork. Shallow pitched roof; gables treated as pediments
(open to north) with stucco cornices and oculus to south. Apse (to north) and porch
(to west) added 1891 in Neo-Norman style, red brick walls, the apse with a moulded string
course, stepped corbel-table and 3 narrow lights vestries to east and west at north end
later C19 gothic. Utilitarian interior, with painted brick walls and queen post trusses
exposed to collar level. Built for the Royal Greenjackets, before the 1857 regulation
requiring the provision of regimental schools. (Hampshire Chronicle, 1851-2).
Listing NGR: SU4771429457
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings