This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0799 / 51°4'47"N
Longitude: -1.1624 / 1°9'44"W
OS Eastings: 458773
OS Northings: 131513
OS Grid: SU587315
Mapcode National: GBR 97D.6YS
Mapcode Global: FRA 86G8.F08
Entry Name: Bell House Formerly Tichborne Down House Hospital
Listing Date: 16 November 1983
Last Amended: 19 October 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1350794
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145134
Location: New Alresford, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24
Civil Parish: New Alresford
Built-Up Area: New Alresford
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: New Alresford St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU53SE TICHBORNE DOWN
70/8/54 Bell House, formerly
16-NOV-1983 Tichborne Down House
Hospital, originally a Poor Law Institute. Circa 1840. Brick walling, with slate roofing. A building of generally symmetrical form, with a 3-storeyed central octagonal block, with wings in 4 directions, 2 of 3 storeys, 1 of 2, and 1 of 1; the ends of these wings have at right-angles single-storeyed low and narrow service structures, which meet to form a square (enclosing 4 , courtyards) around the whole unit, the south end of the south wing having been widened to create an entrance front, bordering the roadway. Symmetrical front (south) of 3 storeys, 3 windows; slate-hipped roof with brick dentil eaves, red brick walling in Flemish bond with rubbed flat arches, 1st and 2nd floor plain stucco bands at cill level, cement plinth. 2nd floor has casements, other floors have sashes in reveals with narrow side panes (20 paned in all).
Doorway in stucco, with moulded cornice, plain frieze, pilasters, recessed frieze with 3 roundels above 3-panelled door. The other elevations have hipped slate roofing, red brick walling in Flemish bond, rubbed flat arches, plinth: later casements and ground-floor sashes. The exposed angles of the octagon have large sash windows; this building and the short (narrower) links to the wings are rendered. The service buildings have slate roofing, with brick walls and small sash windows, the road frontage being rendered. With only a few later changes or additions, this block survives in virtually original form, with recent buildings on the enlarged site.
Listing NGR: SU5885731494
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings