History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Northington, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1327 / 51°7'57"N

Longitude: -1.1948 / 1°11'41"W

OS Eastings: 456438

OS Northings: 137351

OS Grid: SU564373

Mapcode National: GBR 96K.YKL

Mapcode Global: VHD0S.7SQK

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 5 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1350820

English Heritage Legacy ID: 145176

Location: Northington, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: Northington

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Northington with Swarraton St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Northington

Listing Text

SU 53 NE NORTHINGTON NORTHINGTON

6/6 Church of St John the
5.12.55 Evangelist
II*

Parish church, 1887-90 by Sir T G Jackson for Lord Ashburton. Knapped flint
with stone dressings, roof old plain tile. On site with considerable fall
to E, large-perpendicular church of chancel on crypt with octagonal E end,
nave with S porch and N aisle, and tall tower. Chancel has buttresses on
corners with pinnacles and battlements, and stone flush-work at floor level.
Windows 2-light perpendicular. Nave has 3-light perpendicular windows and
gabled porch with battlements on each side and diagonal buttresses. N Aisle
has flushwork. Tower is in Somerset style with diagonal buttresses with pin-
nacles, battlements, flushwork to top stage, SE corner stair turret to top
of 2nd stage, and on each face pairs of large louvred 2-light mullioned and
transomed bell openings. Inside rood-stair turret across to stone pulpit.
Other fittings contemporary including perpendicular font with suspended
cover. Monument to last Henleys 1st and 2nd Earl of Northington 1786. Under
tower large monument 1848 by Westmacott Junior to Baring family, below door
to vault rendered in stone.


Listing NGR: SP5643737359

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.