This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0843 / 51°5'3"N
Longitude: -1.1362 / 1°8'10"W
OS Eastings: 460599
OS Northings: 132016
OS Grid: SU605320
Mapcode National: GBR 977.TVS
Mapcode Global: FRA 86H8.54Y
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 5 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1350825
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145313
Location: Bishops Sutton, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24
Civil Parish: Bishops Sutton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Bishop's Sutton St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 63 SW BISHOPS SUTTON CHURCH LANE
3/23 CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
Parish Church. C12, C13, C14, C18, C19. Rubble flint with stone and some brick
dressings, once rendered, old plain tile roof, weatherboarded bell turret. Nave
C12, narrower Chancel late C13, with demolished C14 building to N, W bell turret
C18 S porch, C19 N vestry opposite. Chancel rebuilt late C13 has E window of 3
stepped trefoiled lancets under enclosing arch, single trefoiled half way along
side walls. On S wall W of lancet small C13 pointed doorway, and large window with
C19 2-light perpendicular tracery. Nave c1150 has on side walls 2 original plain
round headed lights set high on walls either side of doorway. Norman S doorway
in carved chalk rare example of beak-head ornament; semicircular arches of 2 orders,
chamfered label, nook shafts with scalloped capitals to outer order. Old door with
strap hinges. N doorway, now in vestry plainer with moulded wedges, not beak-heads.
At E end of S wall tall lancet c1220 restored C19. W window C14 2-light uncusped
and in gable similar lancet. Bell turret square weatherboarded on timber-frame from
inside nave with 2 small openings at top on each side, hipped roof, and weathervane.
C18 gabled brick S porch with segmental arch, C19 gabled flint vestry opposite.
Inside chancel moulded rear arch to E window, blocked C13 window in NE corner, C14
squint from demolished N chapel or vestry, in SE corner C13 trefoiled piscina
recess with 3 drains. On either side of E window C14 painted dedication crosses
but C19 plaster covered more paintings. On floor is C16 brass of knight and lady.
C17 altar rails with vertically summetrical balusters. Slate tablet 1727 to Jane
Venables. Monument 1776 to John Wight with Corinthian frame and cartouche. C17
arch braced roof. Chancel arch C12 rebuilt, pointed with 2 square orders and to W
nook shafts with scalloped capitals without abaci. In SE corner of nave wide
splayed c1220 lancet has circular piscina in sill. Bell turret supported on 4
massive timbers at W end of nave. Near S door is C18 tall stone baluster font with
moulded base. Floor tablet and monument 1709/10 to William Couper. Roof similar
to that in chancel. VCH; 1908; Vol 3; p 43-4. 'Buildings of England'; N Pevsner;
Penguin; 1966; p 103.
Listing NGR: SU6061731952
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings