History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wonston, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1529 / 51°9'10"N

Longitude: -1.3202 / 1°19'12"W

OS Eastings: 447640

OS Northings: 139508

OS Grid: SU476395

Mapcode National: GBR 84W.P1H

Mapcode Global: VHD0Q.29D2

Entry Name: The Old House

Listing Date: 5 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1350835

English Heritage Legacy ID: 145262

Location: Wonston, Winchester, Hampshire, SO21

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: Wonston

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Wonston

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Sutton Scotney

Listing Text

SU 43 NE WONSTON WONSTON

4/10 The Old House
5.12.55
II*

Old rectory now private house. Late C14 with C16 & C18 extensions. Rendered
flint and stone rubble with stone quoins, W front stuccoed brick and tile-
hanging on rear, and steep pitched plain tile roof with brick stack. C14
hall on N-S axis with 2 storeyed cross wings and C16 building projecting N.
Added to W side of C14 building is 2 storeyed C18 stucco facade, altered
C19, with corridors behind, consisting of pilasters, string course, and
moulded stone cornice with large finials, and sash windows with glazing
bars. The two ground floor south end sashes have thick glazing bars. Centre
projecting two storeyed porch, with rustication on first floor and round
arched doorway with keystone and imposts, and large fielded panelled door
in moulded doorcase. E side has large sash windows, with dormers above, to
hall, gabled N cross wing with C15 cusped trefoil headed single light
window to N, 3-light stone mullioned window and 4-centred arch doorway in
C16 projections. At S end is a gabled S cross wing and attached projecting
porch over pilastered screens passage doorway with gabled C18 parallel
range to south all being tilehung on first floor, and a further half-hipped
early C19 range and outbuilding to S. Sash windows to Cl8 & C19 with glazing
bars. Interior mainly early C18 except for C16 linenfold panelling on either
side of screens passage, refixed. Hall, now drawing room, floored over with
medillion cornice ceiling, and fine chimney piece. In each cross-wing open
well staircase with moulded string course, turned balustrade, hand rail
ramped up to newel and fielded panelled dado. Hall roof rebuilt but remains
of king post roof in crosswings. VCH; 1908; Vol III; p.453-4.


Listing NGR: SU4764039508

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.