History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Morestead Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Owslebury, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.0244 / 51°1'27"N

Longitude: -1.2738 / 1°16'25"W

OS Eastings: 451026

OS Northings: 125255

OS Grid: SU510252

Mapcode National: GBR 86H.NRQ

Mapcode Global: FRA 866D.ZG8

Entry Name: Morestead Manor

Listing Date: 5 December 1955

Last Amended: 19 December 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1350872

English Heritage Legacy ID: 145488

Location: Owslebury, Winchester, Hampshire, SO21

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: Owslebury

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Morestead

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


4/7 Morestead Manor
(formerly listed as Morestead
5.12.55 II* Farmhouse)

Manor house. Late C17 early C18. Brick with random blue headers, old plain tile
roof. Originally L-shaped with 5 bay front, 2 bays deep with at left 4 bay garden
front 2 bays deep. To end of garden front another bay added late C18 and 2 bay wing
added to rear of entrance front at right and area between this and other wing filled
C19. Entrance front 2 storey on plinth, part on cellar, centre bay slightly
projecting. C19 glazed, gabled, timber on brick base porch, with central top glazed
door, in front of this bay. To left of door 2 C18, altered C19, 12-pane sashes,
under-rubbed brick heads. To right 3 similar, but 4-paned sashes. 1st floor
string. Left 3 bays have original cross windows with leaded lights and wrought
iron casements. Right 2 window are C18 4-pane sashes. Moulded and modillioned timber
timber eaves cornice that is broken forward without modillions over central bay.
Roof hipped with large ridge stack to right wing and hipped dormers to other roof
faces. Inside full-height original staircase with turned balusters moulded hand
rail, and square section newels with ball finials. Fireplaces C18, from Longwood
house demolished 1880.

Listing NGR: SU5100525468

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.