History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Idsworth House

A Grade II Listed Building in Rowlands Castle, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9122 / 50°54'43"N

Longitude: -0.9639 / 0°57'50"W

OS Eastings: 472935

OS Northings: 113031

OS Grid: SU729130

Mapcode National: GBR CD7.P45

Mapcode Global: FRA 86WP.L8W

Entry Name: Idsworth House

Listing Date: 5 May 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1351134

English Heritage Legacy ID: 142945

Location: Rowlands Castle, East Hampshire, Hampshire, PO8

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Rowlands Castle

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Blendworth Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Horndean

Listing Text

SU 71 SW ROWLANDS CASTLE IDSWORTH

9/10 Idsworth House

5.5.75 II

Neo-Jacobean mansion. 1852, by William Burn, additions of 1912 by Goodhart-
Rendel. Red brick walls in Flemish bond, with Bath stone dressings; plinth,
quoins, 1st floor cornice band, parapet cornice and coping, gables with finials
lower step and kneelers. Steep slate roof, prominent stone stacks. Near-
symmetrical south west front of two storeys and attic, 2.3.2 windows, the two
western bays being brought forward slightly with a larger dormer gable next to an
end tower, which has an ogee lead roof, cornice with raised centre containing a
cartouche, above a large stone clock face: the two eastern bays being brought further
forward, with an inner small and outer large gable. The ground-floor centre has
been brought forward (1912) and there is an elaborate port-cochere of the Doric
Order, with Roman arches within coupled ¾ columns, an arched doorway within.
Sashes, the 1912 work has large mullion and transom casements. Other features of
1912 include the dated rainwater heads, and tile-hung parapet. The south east
elevation, with similar but unaltered details, has a 1.3.2 window arrangement, with
a projecting gable to the second bay, containing a two-storeyed half-octagonal 3-
window bay, and there is a rectangular ground floor bay at the north side: further
north is a projecting (library) unit of one storey, of similar style but larger
features (of 1912). The northern range is also similar (with the library projecting
at the east side), but it extends westward to provide a tall front to the service
wings, of similar style but of one and a half storeys, with half-dormers; their east-
ern elevation forms the west side of the forecourt of the house, with a 1.3.1
window arrangement, end gables, that at the north being tied to the house by a
single-storeyed block, that at the south having a carriage arch (now filled).
Further to the west are other service buildings, associated with a tall flint wall
to the kitchen garden, pierced by a carriage entrance, flanked by piers. The
former service ranges are now divided into dwellings.


Listing NGR: SU7290612257

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.