History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in East Tisted, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0856 / 51°5'8"N

Longitude: -1.0001 / 1°0'0"W

OS Eastings: 470130

OS Northings: 132281

OS Grid: SU701322

Mapcode National: GBR B8Q.ZXX

Mapcode Global: FRA 86S7.XX9

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 31 July 1963

Last Amended: 18 July 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1351138

English Heritage Legacy ID: 142961

Location: East Tisted, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: East Tisted

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: East Tisted with Colemore St James

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
East Tisted

Listing Text

EAST TISTED STATION ROAD
SU 73 SW
5/6 Church of St James
(Formerly listed as Church
31.7.63 of St James the Apostle)

GV II*

Parish church. Of medieval origin, mainly a rebuild of 1846. Stone and slate.
A building in Decorated style, with symmetrical treatment; nave of 3 bays with
aisles, chancel with north (vestry) and south chapels, and west tower with
entrance door at the south side. Plain roofs. The walls are of coursed flint
with Bath stone dressings; crenellated parapet with finials at the corners,
stepped buttresses (diagonal at the corners), plinth, coupled windows with
reticulate tracery. The east walls are of malmstone with single-light east
windows to the chapels and a 4-light east window with flowing tracery. The tower
has 3 stages (the lowest part incorporating some C14 work), with decorated parapet,
corner finials above stepped buttresses (diagonal to the south west), octagonal
stair turret at the north-west corner, and doorway of recessed Orders, with an
ogee hood-mould. Inside, the fittings are Victorian, with an octagonal font
and octagonal nave columns. The building has been designed to accommodate
important tombs from the old church, with recesses at the east end of the aisles
and in the centre of the aisles (the middle bay is an architectural framework).
The south aisle east recess contains the panelled table tomb of Elizabeth and
John Norton (c1530) with an arched canopy and heraldic device. The north aisle
east recess has the tomb of Sir John Norton (1686), with a recumbent figure in
armour resting on a table tomb, a background panel with architectural surround,
and heraldic top-piece. A mid C16 monument occupies the middle recess of the
north aisle, being an Ionic framework above a panelled table tomb, and 2 kneeling
figures (of Anne and John Norton). The middle of the south aisle has the
Commandments in gold Gothic letters. Small wall monuments are in the south aisle,
of 1766, 1797, 1809, 1816 and 1821. The tower contains a wall monument of 1731,
above small brasses of 1615 and 1829, flanked by painted bequest panels of 1760
and 1822. There is a Royal Coat of Arms of 1706.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.