History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalene

A Grade II* Listed Building in West Tisted, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0586 / 51°3'30"N

Longitude: -1.0736 / 1°4'25"W

OS Eastings: 465019

OS Northings: 129212

OS Grid: SU650292

Mapcode National: GBR B90.KCY

Mapcode Global: FRA 86MB.5K2

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Listing Date: 31 July 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1351153

English Heritage Legacy ID: 143042

Location: West Tisted, East Hampshire, Hampshire, SO24

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: West Tisted

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: West Tisted St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Privett

Listing Text

WEST TISTED WEST TISTED

9/1 Church of St Mary Magdalene
The item shall be amended to read:

WEST TISTED
Church of St Mary Magdalene

------------------------------------

WEST TISTED WEST TISTED
SU 62 NE
9/1
Church of St Mary Magdalene
31.7.63
II*

Parish church. C11, C13, C14, C15, 1750 and 1848. Flint walls and tiled roof.
Single-cell early Norman church, extended eastwards in 1848, to form a new
chancel and a small north vestry. South porch of 1750, and western bell turret
above a timber frame. Plain tile roof, the bell turret with a pyramid roof
and boarded sides. The walls are of flint with stone dressings, indicating a
small westward extension which has a C14 west window of 2 cusped lights below
a quatrefoil, on the north side a Norman door (now filled) and a cusped lancet
(C13), a small early Norman window (filled) west of the south porch and a coupled
perpendicular window east of the porch. The Victorian chancel follows the style,
with 2 coupled lights on the south side and a 3-light perpendicular east window.
The porch is of brickwork, with a gable, cambered arch, and a plaque inscribed
'The Gift of Magdalen College 1750'; within, is a plain Gothic doorway (C13) with
a stoop in the jamb. Interior: plain, with C15 piscina, having a trefoil arch
and a credence (now in the nave), a plain circular font, a Jacobean altar table,
panelled sanctuary, cambered tie-beams (some with king posts), and a brass
chandelier. There are some modest wall monuments, of the late Cl7 and the C18.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.