This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1376 / 51°8'15"N
Longitude: -0.9285 / 0°55'42"W
OS Eastings: 475059
OS Northings: 138135
OS Grid: SU750381
Mapcode National: GBR C9L.L2C
Mapcode Global: VHDYC.VNHS
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1351156
English Heritage Legacy ID: 143050
Location: Worldham, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Worldham
Built-Up Area: East Worldham
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: East Worldham St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
WORLDHAM EAST WORLDHAM
SU 73 NE
2/1 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C13, with substantial restoration of 1865, by David Brandon.
Stone walls and tile roof. An Early English design, said to be much rebuilt,
presumably to the original design; nave, chancel (former apse removed), and
Victorian small vestry and south porch. The nave has 5 lancets with 4
buttresses, the west gable 3 separated lancets, the short chancel has a higher
lancet at each side and a 3 light east window set within an arch (to former
apse). The north and south doors of the nave, and smaller priest's door,
have deeply moulded arches above recessed orders of shafts (the north now
filled). Victorian gabled porch, and gabled vestry. Plain roof of a single
ridge, with a western bell turret, with a shingled spire above a timber frame.
The walls have mostly polygonal walling, with ashlar dressings. Interior:
deep window reveals with roll mouldings, and recessed shafts to the chancel.
There are several wall monuments of the C17 and C18, and a medieval tomb recess
in the south wall of the nave, containing a female effigy (to Philippa Chaucer).
Other nearby listed buildings