History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Steep, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0222 / 51°1'20"N

Longitude: -0.9379 / 0°56'16"W

OS Eastings: 474588

OS Northings: 125298

OS Grid: SU745252

Mapcode National: GBR CBX.X9D

Mapcode Global: FRA 86XD.Y66

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 16 March 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1351171

English Heritage Legacy ID: 143244

Location: Steep, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU32

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Steep

Built-Up Area: Steep

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Steep All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Steep

Listing Text

STEEP CHURCH ROAD
SU 72 NW
9/49 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
16.3.54
GV II*
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, 1838 and 1875. Rubble walls of different dates,
some cemented sections, stone dressings, buttresses at the west end. Tile roof.
Nave and chancel, with south aisle (four bays) of 1180, north chapel and west tower
added but later (c.1200) merged as a wide north aisle, chancel renewed C13, upper
part of tower 1875 by R W Edis, c19 north and south porches. The exterior has
lancets, some of the C13, with a cinquefoil above the west end of the nave. The
prominent bell tower has a steeple with exaggerated broaches, a timber-framed bell
stage, and battered sides hung with scalloped tiles. Inside, the arcades are
supported by cylindrical columns, the earlier on the south side with scalloped
caps, the north having moulded caps: there are remains of the rood stair. A late
medieval roof has king posts (the nave with modern tie-beams). The C14 font is
hexagonal on six short shafts around a central shaft. There are wall monuments of
1740, 1741, 1743, 1756, 1780, 1820, 1829 and others of the early c19. A window
contains etched glass, as a memorial to the poet Edward Thomas.


Listing NGR: SU7464025294

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.