This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8297 / 50°49'46"N
Longitude: -1.3517 / 1°21'6"W
OS Eastings: 445754
OS Northings: 103553
OS Grid: SU457035
Mapcode National: GBR 88Q.T8G
Mapcode Global: FRA 861X.56Z
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 8 October 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1351239
English Heritage Legacy ID: 143423
Location: Fawley, New Forest, Hampshire, SO45
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Fawley
Built-Up Area: Blackfield
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Fawley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
FAWLEY CHURCH LANE
SU 40 SE
13/1 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Possibly Saxon, certainly early Norman, much enlarged late
C12, remodelled early C14, restored 1844 and 1866 by H Woodyer, damaged by
bombing 1940 and restored 1954 by R Blacking. Rubble stone, partly
rendered, stone dressings, old plain tile roofs. Plan of late C12 chancel
and north chapel, chancel lengthened early C14 and south chapel added, nave
of early C12 origin remodelled late C12 when south-east tower added
(presumably with balancing north transept), aisles were added early C13,
C19 west porch and window, chancel and north chapel rebuilt C20. East end
of chancel has C20 reconstruction of pointed 3-light geometric window.
Underneath is window frame of supposedly Saxon round-headed window found
during C20 rebuilding. Chapels have c1300 3-light pointed reticulated east
windows. On their sides are squareheaded 2-light reticulated windows.
Tower of 3 stages has unaltered c1175 lower stage, on south tall
roundheaded lancet. Moulded string course to C15 rebuilt stages. On 2nd
stage to north and east, small squareheaded trefoiled windows. On top
stage squareheaded 2-light bell-openings. Over plan parapet. Aisles have
early C14 wide trefoiled lancets, some restored. Plain C14 south door. At
west end of nave is mid C19 gabled Norman porch. Over it C19
perpendicular 3-light window, high-set. Inside chancel, north arcade,
north chapel and east wall largely rebuilt C20. 2 bay north arcade of
pointed chamfered arches on round piers with scalloped capitals and
diagonal patterning on face of abacus. Chancel arch is mid C12 from
earlier church, low roundheaded with slight chamfer and moulded abaci. 3
bay south arcade of pointed chamfered arches on round piers with moulded
capitals. Arch from south chapel to tower is C19, narrow and roundheaded.
Other arches to tower are restored but have varied scalloped capitals,
sawtooth patterns on abaci. Nave arches of 4 bays have pointed chamfered
arches on round piers with moulded capitals. At west end is C12 doorway of
plain inner order and outer order with roll-mould springing from
nook-shafts with scalloped capitals. Arch has thick zig-zag moulded
between inner intersecting diagonal moulded and outer fleuron moulding.
Roofs have barrel ceilings. Nave walls have line of stone corbels below
wallplate. C17 pulpit with carved panels. VCH; Vol 3; 1908; p295-6 -
Buildings of England, Hampshire; Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p231-3.
Listing NGR: SU4584303263
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings