History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Ethelbert

A Grade II* Listed Building in Herringswell, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3008 / 52°18'2"N

Longitude: 0.5183 / 0°31'5"E

OS Eastings: 571806

OS Northings: 269953

OS Grid: TL718699

Mapcode National: GBR PBM.RV1

Mapcode Global: VHJGC.XFVJ

Entry Name: Church of St Ethelbert

Listing Date: 7 May 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1351310

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275774

Location: Herringswell, Forest Heath, Suffolk, IP28

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

Civil Parish: Herringswell

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Tuddenham with Cavenham, Herringswell and Red Lodge

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Herringswell

Listing Text

TL 76 NW HERRINGSWELL THE STREET

6/33 Church of St. Ethelbert
-
7/5/54
- II*

Church, mediaeval, restored 1869 by A.W. Blomfield after a major fire. Nave,
chancel, south transeptal chapel, south porch, west tower, north vestry. Flint
rubble with freestone quoins and parapet gables. Plaintiled roofs; the tower
roof is flat behind crenellated parapets. Both nave and chancel have areas of
C12 coursed rubble walling; at the north-east corner of the nave is an angle-
shaft with cushion capital. Transept added C14, with 2- and 3-light windows;
the south window has an image niche above and a quatrefoil vent at the apex.
Chancel extended and nave and chancel walls raised mid C14. 3-light net-
traceried east window and 2-light side windows inserted; also hood-moulded
doorway now leading to C19 vestry, and south nave doorway. Image niches of C14
are found in outer walls of:- south transept, east diagonal chancel buttresses,
flanking central west tower buttress, and over south doorway. Further niches
in the chancel flank the east window. Double piscina in chancel, with central
moulded pillar; the gabled arches with crocketing and pinnacles were renewed
1869. Late C14 chancel arch (restored). Porch of late C14 has pilastered
doorway and 2-light side windows; butt purlin roof of, perhaps, C16. Circular
stoup beside south doorway is perhaps Norman, reset on later polygonal stem.
C14 tower with large south stair turret; lion-head gargoyles, flushwork
parapets and 2-light belfry openings are alterations of late C15. Of c.1500
are the unusual piers supporting the east tower walls, braced by flying
buttresses to the extended aisle walls; the north 2-light window is
contemporary. Roofs were rebuilt 1869; nave roof with arch-braced collar-beam
trusses in 4 bays, chancel roof canted and boarded. Of 1869 are 3 nave
windows, pointed, with Y-tracery; also the octagonal limestone font. Good
stained glass in most windows of c.1900, depicting pastoral subjects of local
significance.


Listing NGR: TL7180669953

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.