This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3426 / 52°20'33"N
Longitude: 0.5095 / 0°30'34"E
OS Eastings: 571045
OS Northings: 274579
OS Grid: TL710745
Mapcode National: GBR PB7.3M7
Mapcode Global: VHJG5.SD60
Entry Name: Ruin of Charnel House About 10 Metres South of the South Aisle of Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 7 May 1954
Last Amended: 2 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1351323
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275845
Location: Mildenhall, Forest Heath, Suffolk, IP28
District: Forest Heath
Civil Parish: Mildenhall
Built-Up Area: Mildenhall
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Mildenhall
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 7174 MILDENHALL THE CHURCHYARD
12/36 Ruin of Charnel House, -
about 10m. south of the
7.5.54 south aisle of Church of
- St. Mary.
(Formerly listed as Remains
II of Chapel in Churchyard)
Ruined charnel house, 1387, for Ralph de Walsham. Flint rubble with freestone
dressings. The main feature is a late C19 moulded arched doorway in the C13
Gothic style, added when the ruin was adapted for the vault of the Read family;
framed by the doorway is a limestone slab inscribed with epitaphs to several of
their number. To right are remains of steps up to the chapel of St. Michael
which was built above the charnel house.
Listing NGR: TL7104574579
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings