History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brandon Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brandon, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4448 / 52°26'41"N

Longitude: 0.6036 / 0°36'12"E

OS Eastings: 577048

OS Northings: 286166

OS Grid: TL770861

Mapcode National: GBR QBB.PFW

Mapcode Global: VHJFN.DTY6

Entry Name: Brandon Hall

Listing Date: 7 May 1954

Last Amended: 2 October 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1351338

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275822

Location: Brandon, Forest Heath, Suffolk, IP27

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

Civil Parish: Brandon

Built-Up Area: Brandon (Forest Heath)

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Brandon with Wangford St Peter and St Denys

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Brandon

Listing Text

TL 78 NE BRANDON TOWN STREET

1/13 Brandon Hall

7.5.54 (Formerly listed under
General)
- II*


House. c.1730 with late C17 core. Main range of 2 windows, recessed between
projecting wings of 2 windows wide. 2 storeys. Knapped flint with red brick
headers; quoins, set-back moulded plinth and 1st floor string all of red
brick. Hipped slated roof rebuilt C19 after fire; axial chimneys of red
brick. C18 small-pane sash windows with fielded panelled internal shutters,
within earlier segmental arched openings. C18 entrance door with 2 lower
panels and 12-light glazed upper part. Late C17 shell canopy cantilevered on
heavily carved and enriched console brackets. Limestone semi-circular
entrance steps. The entrance hall and 2 front parlours have complete fielded
panelling. In the entrance hall is a segmental-arched and panel led opening to
the staircase, which has turned balusters, moulded and wreathed handrails,
console brackets to treads and dado panelling. The rear elevation was
remodel led mid C18; gault brick with dressings of red brick, windows with
segmental arched heads of finely gauged brick and small-pane sashes with
arched heads. Rear entrance door similar to front door, with flat canopy on
carved console brackets. To right is a mid C19 2-storey extension, and to
left a billiard room extension of c.1900, both having walling of knapped flint
with quoins of red brick. A legal document dated 1708 describes the house as
"newly built".


Listing NGR: TL7704886166

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.