History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wamil Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Mildenhall, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3415 / 52°20'29"N

Longitude: 0.4876 / 0°29'15"E

OS Eastings: 569557

OS Northings: 274403

OS Grid: TL695744

Mapcode National: GBR PB6.436

Mapcode Global: VHJG5.DDMV

Entry Name: Wamil Hall

Listing Date: 7 May 1954

Last Amended: 2 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1351352

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275897

Location: Mildenhall, Forest Heath, Suffolk, IP28

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

Civil Parish: Mildenhall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Mildenhall

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Worlington

Listing Text

TL 67 SE MILDENHALL WAMIL

8/86 Wamil Hall
(Formerly listed under
7.5.54 General
- II


House, late C16, with truncations and alterations of c.1900 and c.1955, both
following serious fires. Probably built for Sir Henry Warner (d.1617). From
the south (garden) front:- 2 storeys, partly with attics. The range to left
of clunch, formerly rendered, with limestone dressings; set-forward plinth of
red brick with limestone dressings. Parapet gables with moulded limestone
copings and ball finials on plinths. To right is a brick-nogged timber-framed
service wing of 2 bays; to right again is a rendered extension probably of
c.1900. Plaintiled roofs with C20 hipped plaintiled casement dormers. 3 axial
C16 or C17 chimneys of red brick with square flues; moulded caps and bases,
perhaps restored. The left-hand range has a number of limestone windows with
moulded mullions and labels above. To left is the truncated walling of the
destroyed central staircase block. The north entrance front has 6 C16
limestone mullioned windows and central entrance doorway with square moulded
head and label above; boarded and battened original oak door. One room has
full oak wainscotting and good fireplace surround, all of c.1900, but perhaps
with fragments of earlier work; moulded 1st floor beams of C16.


Listing NGR: TL6955774403

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.