This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0577 / 52°3'27"N
Longitude: 0.9189 / 0°55'8"E
OS Eastings: 600207
OS Northings: 243946
OS Grid: TM002439
Mapcode National: GBR SL1.YZQ
Mapcode Global: VHKF6.WJ4X
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 23 January 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1351459
English Heritage Legacy ID: 276573
Location: Kersey, Babergh, Suffolk, IP7
Civil Parish: Kersey
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Kersey St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
KERSEY CHURCH HILL
Church of St Mary
TM 04 SW 42/425 23.1.58
A C14 and C15 flint and stone church standing on high ground to the south
of the village. The north aisle was built circa 1335 and the foundations
of the tower were laid. It was completed in 1481. The west tower is
of 4 stages with diagonal buttresses, a castellated parapet with flint
chequerwork, and an octagonal stair turret. It forms a prominent landmark.
The south porch has 2 bays with buttresses rising to crocketted pinnacles,
chequerwork panels on the front and a castellated parapet with chequerwork.
The ceiling has moulded and carved beams and carved panels. The north
porch is similar but less elaborate. The chancel was rebuilt in 1862.
The nave roof has hammer beams alternating with tie beams with arched
braces meeting in the centre. The interior fittings include 2 fonts,
one of the C12 and another of the C15, a C15 lectern and chancel screen.
The north aisle has a defaced stone carved frieze.
Listing NGR: TM0020743946
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings