This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9653 / 51°57'55"N
Longitude: 0.9719 / 0°58'18"E
OS Eastings: 604260
OS Northings: 233820
OS Grid: TM042338
Mapcode National: GBR SM9.LKD
Mapcode Global: VHKFM.SVNR
Entry Name: Weavers House
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1351601
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277233
Location: Stratford St. Mary, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7
Civil Parish: Stratford St. Mary
Built-Up Area: Stratford St Mary
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Higham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 0433 STRATFORD ST MARY LOWER STREET
House, probably originally incorporating weaving premises. Early-mid C16.
Timber-framed. Plain tile roof. Red brick stacks. L-plan. 2 storeys. 5 ½-bay
front with 2-bay rear cross range, probably truncated. Lobby entry with further
blocked entrance to right end which has a separate staircase and no communication
with main house at 1st floor level. Jettied front with moulded bressummer and
joist ends. Close-studding. Straight down braces to right end. Lobby entry,now
open to inner doors,has added cornice and patterned carved brackets. Windows of
ovolo mullion type are mainly the originals restored with some inserted from other
buildings. Windows to main house have side lights except the hall which has a
pair of 5-light windows forming a continuous row. Small 2-light window above
entrance. To right end a long row of mullioned lights continues round the gable
end to the stack. Steeply-pitched swept roof, hipped to left. Saw-tooth ridge
stack and further large external stack to right gable. The cross wing and rear
have similar details. Indications to rear wall of right end of former external
stair. Interior: exposed framing. Ovolo-moulded beams and joists to upper end,
chamfered beam with curved stops to right end. The parlour to left has C17
panelling and inglenook fireplace. Newel spiral stair to rear of stack. Rendered
basket-arched fireplace to hall. Evidence for possible position of loom against
rear wall. Right end has C20 stairs and inglenook. Rear wing contains C17
painted door. During restoration of 1930s, plaster with a date of 1758 was
removed from the front of the house revealing several blocked original windows.
Some windows and other features have been brought from houses in course of demoli-
tion in Ipswich and elsewhere.
Hussey, C, 'Weavers House Stratford St Mary', Country Life, 28 September 1945,
Listing NGR: TM0426033820
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings