History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Half Moon

A Grade II Listed Building in Burstall, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0612 / 52°3'40"N

Longitude: 1.0557 / 1°3'20"E

OS Eastings: 609566

OS Northings: 244715

OS Grid: TM095447

Mapcode National: GBR TMK.PQV

Mapcode Global: VHLBR.7GY8

Entry Name: Half Moon

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Last Amended: 29 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1351619

English Heritage Legacy ID: 277333

Location: Burstall, Babergh, Suffolk, IP8

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: Burstall

Built-Up Area: Burstall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Burstall St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Sproughton

Listing Text

TM 04 SE BURSTALL THE STREET
3/5 Half Moon
(formerly listed as Half
22.2.55 Moon Public House)
- II
House, formerly public house, converted from row of cottages. C16 with later
alterations and additions. Timber-framed, brick faced and rendered, replacing
braided pargetting, some of which survives at rear, tile roof. L-plan. 3 cell,
lobby entrance plan, kitchen/bakehouse to rear, and added right hand bay; formerly
a 2 bay open hall. 2 storeys. Scattered fenestration of timber casements, door
set in brick porch, all 1970's. Axial brick stack, probably inserted. Interior:
Left hand cell, heavy jowelled posts and chamfered main beam. 4-light diamond
mullioned window with shutter groove in rear wall. Hall, jowelled posts, chamfered
at first floor level, one terminating with jewel stop. Inserted ground floor
ceiling beam, coarsely chamfered with run-out stop. Blocked full height 4-light
diamond mullion window on rear wall. Bressummr carved with mark resembling
spectacles. First floor, left hand room, 5-light diamond mullion window on rear
wall, adjacent to stack. Stack decorated with monochrome linear painting or stencil,
c1600, depicting heads and foliage. Rear room, blocked 2-tight diamond mullion
window. Roof largely C20, but original rafters survive cut off at purlin level.
Tie beams cut over hall. Said to have been a projecting box bed over porch or
doorway. Kitchen and bakehouse retains bread oven. Before restoration of 1970's,
pargetting to front dated 1732 or 1737.


Listing NGR: TM0956644715

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.