This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9783 / 51°58'41"N
Longitude: 0.9626 / 0°57'45"E
OS Eastings: 603563
OS Northings: 235232
OS Grid: TM035352
Mapcode National: GBR SM2.XX0
Mapcode Global: VHKFM.MJRT
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1351625
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277248
Location: Higham, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7
Civil Parish: Higham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Higham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
HIGHAM HIGHAM ROAD
TM 03 NW
(south side, off)
Church of St Mary
Church. Tower C13 origins. Otherwise C14-C15. Porch c.1893 by W H A Berry.
Restored 1888 at a sum of £1,500 (Kelly's). Coursed flint with knapped flint to
chancel, ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof. West tower, nave with 4-bay north
aisle,porch and 2-bay chancel. 3-stage tower with offset diagonal buttresses,
stair turret to south. Renewed west door. Basket-arched west window with Perpen-
dicular tracery. Small lancet to west and north faces at second stage, 2-light
restored bell openings. Quoins and embattled parapet. North aisle: roofed
separately from nave, offset buttresses. West window head renewed, otherwise
2-light flat-headed windows with ogee lights, probably late C14 with some replaced
stonework. Gabled timber porch contains original 2-centred continuously-moulded
door. 3-light basket-arched window with Perpendicular tracery to east end of
aisle. South side of nave: blocked south door with renewed head. Restored but-
tresses and 2 replaced windows with Perpendicular tracery. 2-light flat-headed
window to west of door partly renewed. Chancel: renewed 4-centred windows with
Perpendicular tracery with hoodmoulds and arches of red brick and flint. East
window with intersecting tracery renewed. Diagonal offset buttresses, flushwork to
part of plinth. Blocked priest's door to south side. Interior: nave arcade piers
of 4 filleted shafts with slender polygonal shafts to angles. Band capitals with
alternating patterns of fleurons and vine scrolls. Finely-moulded arches under
hoodmoulds with head or foliate stops. Nave roof C19 but incorporates three
medieval chamfered arch braces forming pointed arches resting on head corbels.
Aisle roof C16 with moulded beams on short wall posts with head corbels, arched
braces with tracery to spandrels. Leaf scroll to longitudinal beams and moulded
joists with run-out stops. Wall plate with angels and fleurons and rafters
probably renewed. Disused broken panelled octagonal font. 4 original poppy heads
incorporated into C19 pews. Ogee-arched nave piscina. Chamfered-arched door to
tower stairs has original studded door with strap hinges. C19 timber chancel arch
with pair of saints in canopied niches on corbels. Chancel roof has elements of
c.1500 including brattished wall plate with capitals to truncated wall shafts at
bay divisions supporting moulded arch braces incorporated into C19 wagon roof.
4-centred piscina with fleurons probably renewed. Marble and ceramic tile reredos
of 1892. The chancel appears to be the most extensively restored part, the walls
may be refaced externally or even rebuilt.
Pevsner, N, Suffolk. 2nd edition, 1974, p.271.
Listing NGR: TM0356335232
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings