This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0625 / 52°3'45"N
Longitude: 1.0948 / 1°5'41"E
OS Eastings: 612239
OS Northings: 244979
OS Grid: TM122449
Mapcode National: GBR TMM.MM2
Mapcode Global: VHLBR.XFM7
Entry Name: The Wild Man
Listing Date: 29 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1351646
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277368
Location: Sproughton, Babergh, Suffolk, IP8
Civil Parish: Sproughton
Built-Up Area: Sproughton
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Sproughton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 1244 SPROUGHTON HIGH STREET
6/40 The Wild Man
Public House. Early and later C16, altered, with extensive C20 additions, to
rear. Timber framed, rendered, gabletted tile roof. L plan, with former 2
bay hall and crosswing. 1½ storeys and cellar. 3 C20 timber casements. Off
centre blocked doorway with 6 panel door beneath flat canopy on brackets. 3
dormer casements to left and right of 2 lights, that to centre of 3 lights.
Inserted brick stacks to rear of ridge and in left hand return.
Interior: Much of rear ground floor frame removed though main posts remain.
Brick stack, much altered C20, with stair behind. To left of stack stop chamfered
spinal beam and horizontal joists, to right the joists replaced or ceiled over.
First floor frame partly exposed, particularly in the crosswing. Tall square
crown post with slender braces and some smoke blackened rafters. Crosswing,
tie beam with one straight and one cranked brace, similar cranked braces to
closed truss, clasped purlin roof with some windbraces.
Listing NGR: TM1223944979
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings