This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0407 / 52°2'26"N
Longitude: 0.9605 / 0°57'37"E
OS Eastings: 603133
OS Northings: 242171
OS Grid: TM031421
Mapcode National: GBR SLH.3MW
Mapcode Global: VHKF7.LYMZ
Entry Name: Former Hadleigh Railway Station
Listing Date: 20 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1351747
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277793
Location: Hadleigh, Babergh, Suffolk, IP7
Civil Parish: Hadleigh
Built-Up Area: Hadleigh
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Hadleigh St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
THE FOLLOWING ITEM SHALL BE ADDDED:
1. STATION ROAD
1161 Former Hadleigh Railway Station
TMO 342 2/246
Disused railway station. Circa 1847. Flemish bond red brick with buff brick
dressings. Welsh slate roof with parapeted gable ends. The front range has
red brick gable end stacks with buff brick dressings, set-offs, coupled shafts
backed by narrow arches and moulded cornices; tall lateral stacks to the lower
Plan: Symmetrical compositions. The short front range has a central entrance
and probably contains the ticket office and waiting rooms. Behind is a lower
and longer parallel range with platform canopy at the back and small blocks
at the front in the angles with the front range. Italianate Style.
Exterior: 1 storey. Symmetrical 1:3:1 bay front, the centre 3 bays has buff
brick pilasters and a wooden bracketed cornice which breaks forward at the
centre as a canopy on large pairs of ornate cast-iron brackets. Round-headed
central doorway with a keyblock and glazed and panelled double doors, and to
left and right, Venetian window with keyblock and C19 casements with glazing
bars. Set back at left and right hand ends small single storey blocks with
parapets and brick quoins, one small round-headed window at the front with
keyblock and 3 similar windows at the sides. The parallel rear range has a
Venetian window in the gable ends and a platform canopy behind with cast-iron
columns, pierced spandrel brackets and a fretted wooden valance. There is
a new wooden building under the canopy but the original canopy structure seems
to be intact.
Interior: not inspected but might contain some of the original furnishings.
Historical note: The Eastern Counties Railway from London to Colchester was
opened in 1843 and the Eastern Union Railway from Colchester to Ipswich was
opened in 1846. At Bentley a branch line to Hadleigh (Eastern Union and Hadleigh
Junction) was opened in 1847. This branch was closed in 1964 for freight and
in 1966 for passengers.
Source: David St John Thomas. A Regional History of the Railways of Great
Britain, V Eastern Counties.
Listing NGR: TM0313342171
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings